1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order DE

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to ##A(x)y''+A'(x)y'+\frac{y}{A(x)}=0## where A(x) is a known function and y(x) is the unknown one.
    Hint:Eliminate the term that contains the first derivative.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I don't really know how to tackle it. I guess that the hint suggests a change of variable that would get rid of the y' term. So I tried z=y'A, z=Ay and z=y/A. All failed to express the ODE as a function of z and its derivative(s) and A and its derivative(s).
    I am therefore stuck. Any other hint will be welcome!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What if you try the following substition [itex]y=Bz[/itex], where B is a known function that is yet to be decided.

What do you get if you perform this substitution?

What should we take for B if we want the z' term to vanish?

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Good idea! ##x''A'B'+z'(AB+AB'+A'B)+z (A'B'+B/A)=0##.

##B=Ce^{-x}/A##. I checked out and indeed the terms in front of ##z'## vanishes.
    I'm left to solve ##z''A'Ce^{-x} \left ( \frac{1}{A}+ \frac{A'}{A^2} \right ) + z \left ( \frac{A'}{A} + \frac{A'^2}{A^2}- \frac{Ce^{-x}}{A^2} \right ) =0##. That really does not look beautiful/easy to me. :eek:

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I get something different here. I get that the term of z' is
    [tex]A^\prime B + 2A B^\prime[/tex]

The form of my B is also much simpler.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see, I made a mistake; I don't know why I make so many of them. I reach the same as yours, so ##B=kA^{-1/2}## where k is a constant.

Edit: I might have rushed through the math but I reach that ##z''+z \left ( 1-\frac{2}{A'} \right ) =0##. Which has different solutions depending on the sign of the term in front of z. I guess I made another mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. Dec 3, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, I get the same B. But there is no real need of the constant. You just need to find one single B that makes z' disappear, so you can take k=1.

Anyway, with that choice of B, what does your equation become then?

8. Dec 3, 2012 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I now get ##B'=-\frac{1}{2}A^{-3/2}##, ##B''=\frac{3}{4}A^{-5/2}A'^2-\frac{A^{-3/2}A''}{2}##.
    The equation becomes ##z''AB+z(AB''+A'B'+B/A)=0##. Now I have to replace the B and its derivatives in that.
    Edit: I've just done it and it's not beautiful so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook