Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order diff.eq. help?

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Second order diff.eq. help??

well i am trying to find a solution to this diff. eq, but i get stuck somewhere.
    [tex]\ 4x^{2}y''+y=0[/tex]

I first took this substitution

y'=p, y"=p' so the diff. eq becomes of this form

[tex]\ 4x^{2}p'+p=0[/tex]
    i think this can be done with the separable of variables thing. so
    [tex]\ 4x^{2}\frac{dp}{dx}=-p[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dp}{p}=-\frac{dx}{4x^{2}}[/tex] now i integrate bot sides
    [tex] \int\frac{dp}{p}[/tex] = [tex] -\int\frac{dx}{4x^{2}}[/tex], after some calculations i get

[tex] p=A e^{\frac{1}{4x}[/tex], where A is a constant that we get because of integrating bot siedes. NOw i go back to p=y'
    so

[tex] y'= A e^{\frac{1}{4x}[/tex], now i think all i need to do is integrate, but i get stuck integrating the right part of this eq. I do not think it has any closed form, right?

but i know that the answer to this equation is in a closed form, that is, it is an elementary function, so where am i going wrong?
    I also tried to consider the eq [tex]\ 4x^{2}p'+p=0[/tex] as a linear one, but also when i tried to derive an integrating factor i ended up with a similar expression as [tex] y'= A e^{\frac{1}{4x}[/tex],
    so, any hints on how to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    You can not apply the substitution [itex]y'(x)=p(x),\,y''=p'(x)[/itex] in your equation since it does not contains [itex]y'(x)[/itex]
    Try the substitution [itex]y(x)=\sqrt{x}\,p(x)[/itex] to arrive to [itex]x\,p''(x)+p'(x)=0[/itex] and then try your substitution. i.e. [itex]p'(x)=w(x),\,p''(x)=w'(x)[/itex]

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    How does one know that such a substitution will work?? Is there a theorem that provides us with these kind of substitutions or???

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure how the above works. Why not substitute into the equation y=x^n and then solve for n. I say this because if you differentiate twice you lose two powers of x.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5
    Why can't you use the Power Series Method where you let the solution y=[tex]\sum_{0}a_n{}x^{n}[/tex] where a is from to infinite. The you will replace y along with its derivatives in that equation

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6
    I guess i have to wait for another month then, untill we get to that chapter! We haven't yet done this method of inifinite taylor series, or whatever!.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    DEs with this form are called Euler differential equations. A substuition of the form:

z = ln(x)

with [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dz}\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex], can be used to convert this to a constant coefficient second order equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?