1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order equation problem

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    ive been doing Xdot and Ydot questions using the formula lamda2-(a+d)lamda +ad-bc=0 where Xdot=ax+bc and ydot=cx+dy no problems so far until this question where i have the second order equation xdot dot+x-1/4x3=0

so i set Xdot dot =Ydot and therefore Xdot =y as usual but this gives me Ydot=1/4x3 -x which obviously doesnt fit the formula above, how do i calculate the equlibrium points in this case

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

This is a special type of 2nd order ODE. If you have x'' = f(x), you can use the chain rule to express it in the form:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 = f(x)[/tex] which is separable.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first type of problems are second order linear ODE's with constant coefficients in two variables. The other one is not that type. To find equilibrium points just set x''(t)=x'(t)=0 and solve for x(t).

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4
    what is x''t and x't in terms of Xdot?

6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x'(t)=Xdot=dx/dt and x''(t)=Xdot dot=d^2x/dt^2.

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6
    giving me 4x-xcubed=0 giving me x=0 2 or -2 ?

8. Aug 19, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

9. Aug 19, 2008 #8
    cool chears

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?