1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order equation

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    d2y/dx2+k*dy/dx = du/dx+u

anyone got a hint how to use ODE to sovle this inhomogenous equation?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't solve a single differential equation for two different functions any more than you can solve a single algebraic equation for two different numbers.

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    I would say that you may be able to solve this using the method of Frobenius, which ultimately means that you break it down into a root series problem. Although, I believe the person above me was correct in saying that you cannot solve this using traditional methods since you have three different variables.

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4
    hmm I wonder if its possibly to rework this into a partial differential equation for x that is a function of u and y, while not giving you a nice litle functionfor u and y it will give you a general idea of the solution.

6. Feb 1, 2007 #5

SGT

This equation seems to represent a dynamic system, where u is the input and y the output.
    You can use Laplace transforms to get a transfer function from u to y.
    To solve for y you must know the function u(x) and the initial conditions y(0) and y'(0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?