1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order homogeneous ODE

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the values of [itex]α[/itex] for which all the solutions of [itex]y''-(2α-1)y'+α(α-1)y=0[/itex] (a) tend to zero and (b) are ilimited, when [itex]t->∞[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]y''-(2α-1)y'+α(α-1)y=0 => (t)=Ae^{αt}+Be^{(α-1)t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I found that the general solution to the problem is [itex]y(t)=Ae^{αt}+Be^{(α-1)t}[/itex], which I believe is correct. Then I said that (a) is verified for [itex]t<1/2[/itex] and (b) for [itex]t>=1/2[/itex], but the book's answer is (a) [itex]t<0[/itex] and (b) [itex]t>1[/itex].

What am I missing?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As you wrote it, the question asks for values of ##\alpha##, not ##t##.
    So it looks like your (and the book's) answer is for a different question.

##y(t)\rightarrow 0## for ##t\rightarrow \infty## when ##\alpha < 0## which makes y(t) a sum of decaying exponentials.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    My mistake, I meant α where I said t. I understand what you said, but then what happens for 0<α<1 ?

Thanks

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well then put that into y(t) ... you have two exponentials added together and ##\alpha## appears in the power.

What does "ilimited" mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook