Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order Linear Equations

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    I understand how to solve a normal second order linear equation, but this question in the homework is a bit more theoretical and I'm a bit confused.

"Suppose y1(t) and y2(t) are solutions of y'' + py' + qy = 0

Verify that y(t) = k1y1(t) + k2y2(t) is also a solution for any choice of constants k1 and k2."

If we were given actual functions (i.e. e^-t) this would be very simple. Just plug it into the DE and see that you have an equality. But when given arbitrary functions I dont know how to verify that its an equality. Im guessing it has something to do with the Linearity Principle, but I dont understand how to actually verify it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Since it's homework, I probably shouldn't give the answer. But a hint...

Since y_1 and y_2 are solutions, then

y1'' + py1' + qy1 = 0
    y2'' + py2' + qy2 = 0

How about plugging (k1y1 + k2y2) into the original equation and rearranging a bit?

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    That got me started on the right track, I think. With the two equations you have, solve each one for y''. Then plug that into the other equation and everything nicely cancels so that 0=0.

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4
    Sounds like you have it. You just need to show that inserting y into the equation will equal zero as well.

(k1y1 + k2y2)'' + p(k1y1 + k2y2)' + q(k1y1 + k2y2) = 0

k1y1'' + k2y2'' + pk1y1' + pk2y2' + qk1y1 + qk2y2 = 0

k1(y1'' + py1' + qy1) + k2(y2'' + py2' + qy2) = 0

k1*0 + k2*0 = 0 ==> 0 = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook