Second-Order Logic: Understanding the Basics

• Thread starter Semo727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: Real closed field is a field that is closed under addition, subtraction, multiplicative inverse, and division.
Semo727
I have read, that properties of sets such as that every subset has supremum or that set is well ordered cannot be expressed in the language of first-order logic. Well, when I tried to write these things, I seemed to write them in first order language, which really bothers me. So please, tell me, where is the point, where I use something such as quantifying over predicates:
A is well ordered set iff:
[tex](\forall s)((s\,\text{is subset of}\,A)\rightarrow(\exists y)(y\,\text{is least element of}\,s))[/tex]
and (s is subset of A) can be written as well formed first-order formula with free variables s and A: [tex](\forall x)(x\in s\rightarrow x\in A)[/tex]
and (y is least element of s) can be written as well formed first-order formula with free variables s and y: [tex]((\forall x)(x\in s\rightarrow y\leq x))\,\&\,(y\in s)[/tex].
I think, that written formulla for definition of well ordered set is well formed first-order formula with one free variable A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read, that properties of sets such as that every subset has supremum
This statement I hear usually made about the arithmetic. One cannot express, the theorem
Every bounded, nonempty subset of the real numbers has a supremum​
in the first-order language of arithmetic. (Because, in this language, a 'set of real numbers' is a first-order predicate)

But if you want to state this theorem in the language of set theory, you can make it a first-order statement, because sets are actual objects in the theory. (And in some sense, set theory itself acts like a higher-order logic)

I really heard this in context of ZF set theory... but maybe it was just some mistake in that text. Now I will maybe think about that this way until I learn more about logic and set theory :)

Hurkyl said:
This statement I hear usually made about the arithmetic. One cannot express, the theorem
Every bounded, nonempty subset of the real numbers has a supremum​
in the first-order language of arithmetic. (Because, in this language, a 'set of real numbers' is a first-order predicate)

But if you want to state this theorem in the language of set theory, you can make it a first-order statement, because sets are actual objects in the theory. (And in some sense, set theory itself acts like a higher-order logic)

1st order real analysis is obtained from the 2nd order version by replacing the completeness axiom with the completeness scheme:

[tex]\exists x\forall y[/tex]( F(y)----->y[tex]\leq x[/tex])---->[tex]\exists x[/tex][[tex]\forall y[/tex]( F(y)---->y[tex]\leq x[/tex]) & [tex]\forall z[/tex]([tex]\forall y[/tex]( F(y)---->y[tex]\leq z[/tex])---->x[tex]\leq z[/tex])] ,

one instance for each formula F of the respective 1st order language of analysis,provided that F contains neither x nor z free.

And in 2nd order together with 1st order the completeness axiom can be expressed in the following way:

[tex]\forall S[/tex]{ S[tex]\neq [/tex]Φ, S[tex]\subseteq R[/tex] and S is bounded from above----->[tex]\exists x[/tex][[tex]\forall y[/tex]( yεS---->y[tex]\leq x[/tex]) & [tex]\forall z[/tex]([tex]\forall y[/tex]( yεS---->y[tex]\leq z[/tex])---->x[tex]\leq z[/tex])]

Where S is a set

Of course, none of that affects the fact that the completeness axiom cannot be stated in first-order arithmetic. (Nor is that first-order schema equivalent to the second-order axiom)

And, for the record, real analysis includes a fragment of set theory -- either explicitly by adding sets into the language and axioms, or implicitly via higher-order logic. What you wrote is an axiomization for the first-order theory of real closed fields.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Of course, none of that affects the fact that the completeness axiom cannot be stated in first-order arithmetic. (Nor is that first-order schema equivalent to the second-order axiom)

And, for the record, real analysis includes a fragment of set theory -- either explicitly by adding sets into the language and axioms, or implicitly via higher-order logic. What you wrote is an axiomization for the first-order theory of real closed fields.

What is 1st order arithmetic??Can you do a formal proof in 1st order arithmetic??

so that you can show that you really know what 1st order theories are in general.

Then can you give us a formal proof involving a supremum problem and show us that the two formulas i wrote are not equivalent by using your own formulas.

For example can you give us a formal proof of the following :

Let S be a non empty set of real Nos bounded from above.Let A={as: sεS,a>0}.Then prove
Sup(A)= aSup(S) .Use any formalized formulas you like.

Of course if you wish to do so

Hurkyl said:
What you wrote is an axiomization for the first-order theory of real closed fields.

Please state the definition of a real closed field,because the formulas i wrote are not for the axiomatization of real closed fields as a whole ,but simply the completeness axiom

Please state the definition of a real closed field
References are easy enough to find. Waste google's time, not mine.

Hurkyl said:
References are easy enough to find. Waste google's time, not mine.

I don't think you find anywhere in google the formal proof of the problem i presented to you.

I my self have search very thoroughly the internet,because i am very interested in formal proofs in real analysis.

Should you find a site please inform me.

1. What is Second-Order Logic?

Second-Order Logic is a type of mathematical logic that extends First-Order Logic by allowing quantification over sets or properties. It allows for more complex and precise reasoning about the relationships between objects and their properties.

2. How is Second-Order Logic different from First-Order Logic?

The main difference between Second-Order Logic and First-Order Logic is the ability to quantify over sets or properties. First-Order Logic only allows for quantification over individual objects, while Second-Order Logic allows for quantification over sets or properties of objects.

3. What are the benefits of using Second-Order Logic?

Second-Order Logic allows for more precise and flexible reasoning compared to First-Order Logic. It also allows for the expression of more complex and nuanced concepts, making it a valuable tool in many fields, including mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

4. What are some common applications of Second-Order Logic?

Second-Order Logic has many applications in mathematics, including set theory, model theory, and topology. It is also used in computer science for formal specification and verification of software systems. In philosophy, Second-Order Logic is used to formalize concepts such as properties, relations, and higher-order concepts.

5. Is Second-Order Logic more difficult to understand than First-Order Logic?

While Second-Order Logic may seem more complex due to the added ability to quantify over sets or properties, it is not necessarily more difficult to understand. With a solid understanding of First-Order Logic, one can easily grasp the basics of Second-Order Logic and its applications.