Second order non-linear differential equation involving log

• Thread starter 5hassay
  • Start date
EDIT: my problem is solved, thank you to those who helped

Homework Statement

Solve:

[itex]x y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} \log (\frac{y^{\prime}}{x})[/itex]

Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting [itex]u = y^{\prime}[/itex], factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried [itex]u := y^{\prime}[/itex], so [itex]u^{\prime} = y^{\prime \prime}[/itex], and so substitution gives

[itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]

but I can't seem to be able to do anything with that.

I also I noticed that

[itex] y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} x^{-1} \log(y^{\prime} x^{-1}) [/itex]

which I thought was interesting. But I couldn't really do anything with it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How about log (y'/x) = log (y') - log (x)?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Solve:

Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting [itex]u = y^{\prime}[/itex], factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.

Homework Equations

None.

I tried [itex]u := y^{\prime}[/itex], so [itex]u^{\prime} = y^{\prime \prime}[/itex], and so substitution gives

I also I noticed that

Thank you.

You want to try and find a variable change that will make it separable. Since you have u/x in the log, substituting xv=u might be a good thing to try.

Homework Statement

Solve:

Homework Equations

None.

I also I noticed that

Thank you.
You have [itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]. This can be rewritten as
[tex]\frac{d \ln u}{d\ln x}=\ln(u)-\ln(x)[/tex]
Let ln(u) = w and ln(x) = z

You want to try and find a variable change that will make it separable. Since you have u/x in the log, substituting xv=u might be a good thing to try.

thanks for the help.

OK, that was productive. Here's what I did:

[itex]v := \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} \Longrightarrow v^{\prime} = \frac{x y^{\prime \prime} - y^{\prime}}{x^2} \Longrightarrow x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = x y^{\prime \prime}[/itex]

Substituting,

[itex]x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = y^{\prime} \log(v) \Longrightarrow x v^{\prime} + v = v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]\Longrightarrow \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow (v - v \log(v)) dx + x dv = 0[/itex]

[itex]M := v - v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]N := x[/itex]

[itex]M_v = 1 - \log(v) - 1 = -\log(v) \neq 1 = N_x[/itex]

so the equation is not exact. But

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{M} = \frac{1 + log(v)}{v(1 - \log(v))} \neq f(v)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_v - N_x}{N} = -\frac{\log(v) + 1}{x} \neq f(x)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{x M - v N} = -\frac{1 + \log(v)}{x v \log(v)} \neq f(xv)}[/itex]

so I am stuck (one of those works when we are given a separable equation in my course).

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
thanks for the help.

OK, that was productive. Here's what I did:

[itex]v := \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} \Longrightarrow v^{\prime} = \frac{x y^{\prime \prime} - y^{\prime}}{x^2} \Longrightarrow x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = x y^{\prime \prime}[/itex]

Substituting,

[itex]x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = y^{\prime} \log(v) \Longrightarrow x v^{\prime} + v = v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]\Longrightarrow \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow (v - v \log(v)) dx + x dv = 0[/itex]

[itex]M := v - v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]N := x[/itex]

[itex]M_v = 1 - \log(v) - 1 = -\log(v) \neq 1 = N_x[/itex]

so the equation is not exact. But

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{M} = \frac{1 + log(v)}{v(1 - \log(v))} \neq f(v)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_v - N_x}{N} = -\frac{\log(v) + 1}{x} \neq f(x)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{x M - v N} = -\frac{1 + \log(v)}{x v \log(v)} \neq f(xv)}[/itex]

so I am stuck (one of those works when we are given a separable equation in my course).

xv'+v=vlog(v) is already separable. Just separate it and go from there.

You have [itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]. This can be rewritten as
[tex]\frac{d \ln u}{d\ln x}=\ln(u)-\ln(x)[/tex]
Let ln(u) = w and ln(x) = z

thanks for the help.

I don't know how to evaluate

[itex]\frac{d \log(u)}{d \log(x)}[/itex]

I understand that I would be differentiating [itex]\log(u)[/itex] as a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex], but I don't see how that is a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex].

xv'+v=vlog(v) is already separable. Just separate it and go from there.

true. OK, then

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow \int{\frac{1}{v} \cdot \frac{1}{\log(v) - 1}} dv = \int{\frac{1}{x}}} dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow \log(\log(v) - 1) = \log(x) + C \Longrightarrow \log(v) - 1 = C x \Longrightarrow v = \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} = e^{C x + 1}}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow y = \int{x e^{C x + 1}} dx = x \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} - \frac{1}{C} \int{e^{C x + 1}} dx = \frac{1}{C^2} e^{C x + 1} (C x - 1) + D}[/itex]

where I just re-used [itex]C[/itex] for [itex]e^C[/itex].

I haven't verified it yet by substituting

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
true. OK, then

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow \int{\frac{1}{v} \cdot \frac{1}{\log(v) - 1}} dv = \int{\frac{1}{x}}} dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow \log(\log(v) - 1) = \log(x) + C \Longrightarrow \log(v) - 1 = C x \Longrightarrow v = \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} = e^{C x + 1}}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow y = \int{x e^{C x + 1}} dx = x \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} - \int{e^{C x + 1}} dx = \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} (x - 1) + D}[/itex]

where I just re-used [itex]C[/itex] for [itex]e^C[/itex].

I haven't verified it yet by substituting

Looks fine for v, but I think you dropped a C when you were integrating by parts.

thanks for the help.

I don't know how to evaluate

[itex]\frac{d \log(u)}{d \log(x)}[/itex]

I understand that I would be differentiating [itex]\log(u)[/itex] as a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex], but I don't see how that is a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex].
If u is a function of x, then it is a function of ln(x).

Looks fine for v, but I think you dropped a C when you were integrating by parts.

awesome. Also, I also think you are correct about the missing [itex]C[/itex], thank you--I shall update that post. Thank you for your help!

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
awesome. Also, I also think you are correct about the missing [itex]C[/itex], thank you--I shall update that post. Thank you for your help!

Very welcome! If you want some extra practice you should try doing it Chestermiller's way as well, it's very nice if you don't mind keeping track of a few extra substitution variables.