1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-order ODE problems

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    There are a couple of problems on this week's homework assignment that are giving me trouble.

(1) Find a particular solution for [itex]y'' + y = t^2[/itex] by using the method of undetermined coefficients

Here I don't know which coefficient expression to use, for example if the term on the right side was e^t, I could sub y = Ae^t so that all 'e^t's would cancel out and I would be left with an expression for A.

(2) Solve the IVP: [itex]y'' - 4y' +2y = e^{2t}[/itex], homogenous initial conditions at t=0.

What I did was what I normally do for any first-order ODE. I separated the problem out into homogenous and particular parts.
    [tex] y_h: y''-4y'+2y=0[/tex]
    [tex]s^2-4s+2=0\rightarrow s=2\pm\sqrt{2} [/tex] where s is a characteristic root. Therefore [itex]y_h=c_1 e^{(2+\sqrt{2})t}+c_2 e^{(2-\sqrt{2})t}[/itex]
    For the particular part I used undetermined coefficients and subbed y=Ae^2t and got an expression for A: 4A - 8A + 2A = 1, so A = -1/2, and [itex]y_p = -\frac{1}{2}e^{2t}[/itex]
    What I am confused about is what comes next.
    Is the solution then just [itex]y = y_p + y_h = c_1 e^{(2+\sqrt{2})t}+c_2 e^{(2-\sqrt{2})t} -\frac{1}{2}e^{2t}[/itex] ? And how do I account for the initial conditions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Initial conditions help you fix the coefficients values.They are arbitrary,unless there are initial conditions.

For the first,substitute

[tex] y_{p}(t)=C(x) \sin x [/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?