Linear Independence of Solutions in Second Order ODEs

In summary, the professor gave us a solution to the differential equation w=sen(2/x)-(2/x)cos(2/x). To find this solution, we need to solve for two independent solutions w_1 and w_2. However, this solution is not composed by two linearly independent functions, and so each function must be solution of the differential equation.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Assume the next differential LINEAR second order equation:

[tex]w''+\frac{4}{x}w'+\frac{4}{x^4}w=0[/tex]

So I thought: OK, I need two independent solutions [tex]w_1[/tex] and [tex]w_2[/tex], because the space of solutions is of dimension two.

Then the professor gave us a solution:

[tex]w=sen(2/x)-(2/x)cos(2/x)[/tex]

and I thought: Ok, the solution he's giving us is composed by two linearly independent functions (because doing the wronskian it does not becames zero anywhere), and therefore each function must be solution of the differential equation..

Is this last bolded statement true for any second linear ODE??.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, just try it out, and you''ll find that [tex]\sin(\frac{2}{x})[/tex] is NOT a solution of your diff.eq.

arildno said:
Well, just try it out, and you''ll find that [tex]\sin(\frac{2}{x})[/tex] is NOT a solution of your diff.eq.

Of course I tried it, and I realized of it. But I really thought that in a set of solutions [tex] c_1w_1+c_2w_2[/tex] in which w1 and w2 are linearly independant functions, w1 and w2 must satisfy EACH ONE the ODE.

Clausius2 said:
Of course I tried it, and I realized of it. But I really thought that in a set of solutions [tex] c_1w_1+c_2w_2[/tex] in which w1 and w2 are linearly independant functions, w1 and w2 must satisfy EACH ONE the ODE.
No, no, Clausius2.

Suppose a solution S of a diff. eq can be written in terms of two functions, S=f+g.
Let us assume that the diff.eq is linear and homogenous.

Let L be our differential operator, so that we have LS=0.
From this, we have Lf+Lg=0

It by no means now follows that we must have Lf=Lg=0!
We can, for example let Lf=H=-Lg
where H is some function.
But then we have for example that Lf=H, that is f is NOT a solution to your original differential equation, Ly=0 (for which S is a solution).

Any linear combination of solutions of a linear homogeneous DE is also a solution. However, not all solutions given, are linear combinations of solutions. Your solution above does not appear to be a linear combination of solutions. Thus I would suppose there is another solution such that:

[tex]w(x)=A[Sin(2/x)-2/xCos(2/x)]+Bg(x)[/tex]

Me, I'd multiply by [itex]x^4[/itex], review power series, and figure out what that other solution is . . . just might. :smile:

Edit: I'd try reduction of order first.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks very much both of you. I've understood the point. :smile:

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function and its derivatives up to the second order. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How do you solve a second order ODE?

The solution to a second order ODE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific techniques like the Laplace transform or the method of undetermined coefficients.

3. What are the initial conditions for a second order ODE?

Initial conditions for a second order ODE are the values of the function and its first derivative at a given point, typically denoted as y(0) and y'(0). These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine the solution to the equation.

4. Can a second order ODE have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order ODE can have multiple solutions. This is known as the general solution, which includes all possible solutions to the equation. The specific solution is obtained by applying initial conditions to the general solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of second order ODEs?

Second order ODEs are used to model various phenomena in the natural world, such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the behavior of an electrical circuit. They are also commonly used in engineering to solve problems related to vibrations, control systems, and fluid dynamics.