Why Does a Second Order Opamp Circuit Show Contradictory Derivatives?

In summary: The second equation is saying that dVo/dt (0+)/dt = -1. This is because when you raise a number to a power, the answer is always the negative of the power.
paulmdrdo
Homework Statement
Find the expression for vo(t)
Relevant Equations
See the attached photo
I was trying to understand the way this problem was solved and I got confused with the latter part of the solution. I encircled the part that confused me. They seem to contradict each other. If dv(0+)/dt = 0 why is it dv(0+)/dt = -1 in the other one? Please explain. TIA!
t6s31y.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/t6s31y.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the scan quality is too poor to be readable.

here's a readable version of the photos

Attachments

• PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P1.png
    PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 356
  • PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P2.png
    PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P2.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 336
  • PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P3.png
    PROBLEM 8.67 SADIKU P3.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 325
paulmdrdo said:
here's a readable version of the photos
Thanks for the higher resolution images. I notice that the resolution is fine when I click on the tinypic URL in your first post -- do you have any idea why the image you Uploaded in post #1 is lower resolution?

I also find the equations confusing that you are pointing out. I'll try to spend more time later today looking at it.

paulmdrdo said:
I was trying to understand the way this problem was solved and I got confused with the latter part of the solution. I encircled the part that confused me. They seem to contradict each other. If dv(0+)/dt = 0 why is it dv(0+)/dt = -1 in the other one? Please explain. TIA!

Not a direct answer to your question, but have you thought of working through the problem in Laplace space? It saves you from working with all these derivative terms around and should give the same answer.

In direct answer to your question, an initial look leads me to believe that there might be a typo, but I will indeed have a proper look later on.

Likes gneill and berkeman
I have made an attempt at the problem (apologies for length, but tried to make sure it was clear), here are the images below (I hope that they are legible...). However, when I put my transfer function into MATLAB, I didn't end up with [itex] V_{out}(t) = -t \exp(-t) u(t) [/itex] and I was hoping someone could help point out any errors I made. Thanks.

IMG_6276.jpg
IMG_6277.jpg

Master1022 said:
I have made an attempt at the problem (apologies for length, but tried to make sure it was clear), here are the images below (I hope that they are legible...). However, when I put my transfer function into MATLAB, I didn't end up with [itex] V_{out}(t) = -t \exp(-t) u(t) [/itex] and I was hoping someone could help point out any errors I made. Thanks.

You made an algebra mistake; you left out R1 in a denominator. I've shown where it belongs in red. Of course you need to redo all the calculations after that point.

IMG_6276.jpg

Likes berkeman
The Electrician said:
You made an algebra mistake; you left out R1 in a denominator. I've shown where it belongs in red. Of course you need to redo all the calculations after that point.

Ah yes, thank you very much. How embarrassing...

For the interest of the OP (@paulmdrdo ), correcting my error yields [tex] V_{out}(s) = \frac{-1}{s^2 + 2s + 1} [/tex] taking the inverse Laplace transform of that does indeed yield [itex] V_{out}(t) = -t\exp(-t) u(t) [/itex]. I think this way is a much better way of dealing with these problems as you don't have to deal with all these derivative operators around and this allows you to find the response of the circuit to a wide range of inputs, rather than just specifically solving for one type.

Hope that is of some help.

Likes berkeman
paulmdrdo said:
View attachment 241869
http://i67.tinypic.com/t6s31y.jpg
The first thing you have encircled in red says that it's "From (2)". If you go back to (2) you'll see that where the red circled part says first thing: dVo/dt (0+), it should actually be dV1/dt (0+)

1. What is a second order opamp circuit?

A second order opamp circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (opamp) to amplify an input signal. It is called a "second order" circuit because it has two reactive components, typically a capacitor and an inductor, in addition to resistors.

2. What are the advantages of using a second order opamp circuit?

Second order opamp circuits offer several advantages over first order circuits, including increased selectivity, improved frequency response, and better control over gain and phase shift. They are also more versatile and can be used in a wider range of applications.

3. How does a second order opamp circuit differ from a first order circuit?

A second order opamp circuit differs from a first order circuit in that it has two reactive components, while a first order circuit only has one. This allows for more complex filtering and frequency response characteristics in the second order circuit.

4. What are some common applications of second order opamp circuits?

Second order opamp circuits are commonly used in audio amplifiers, active filters, and oscillators. They are also used in communication systems, control systems, and power supplies.

5. How do I design a second order opamp circuit?

Designing a second order opamp circuit involves selecting the appropriate components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, to achieve the desired frequency response and gain. It is also important to consider stability and noise considerations in the design process.