1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-Order PDE Help

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    1. Integrate (by calculus): u''(x) = -4u(x), 0 < x < pi

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure where to start on this one is my problem. I can see that it won't be a e^2x problem because of the negative, which leads me to believe that it will deal with the positive/negative relationship involved when you differentiate cos.
    The answer is u(x) = c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x) which makes sense since u'(x) = 2cos(2x) - 2sin(2x) and u''(x) = -4sin(2x) - 4cos(2x) = -4(sin(2x) + cos(2x)) = -4u(x)
    But, how do I go about showing my work? How am I supposed to know it's c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x) in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Rewrite your equation as

u''+ 4u = 0

and since this is a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients, you can use a trial solution of u = erx to get auxiliary equation which will be for the form

ar2+br+c = 0 where you can solve for r.

For more info: here

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Have you discussed in your course yet how to interpret complex roots from the characteristic equation to a second-order DE? You will find the "Euler Identity" of use:

e^(ikx) = cos(kx) + i sin(kx) .

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could say you made an educated guess as to what the solution is. Guessing the answer is a legitimate way to solve a differential equation. It's a second-order equation so you need two independent solutions. As you noted, the negative sign suggests the solutions will be sines and cosines. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what you need to do to get the factor of 4 out front.

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    Thank you guys for all your help!
    I haven't actually started this class yet, I'm just preparing for it since I know it's going to be quite a *****. It's a graduate level PDE class, and I didn't learn much in my ODE class because of a terrible teacher (even though I got an A).
    I was wondering if guessing the answer is sufficient enough, assuming I prove why it works.
    When you say "you need two independent solutions" do you mean having c1 and c2?
    Would just c1sin(2x) work? After all, if u = sin(2x), then u' = 2cos(2x) and u'' = -4sin(2x), which works.
    Or does that not work since there need to be 2 constant c's because it's second order?

I haven't learned that (or anything yet), but how would I go about using that as an answer?
    Would I just use e^(i2x)?

Interesting, I'll look into that more thank you! That makes sense, I need to study it more though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook