1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order RLC circuit

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    http://imgur.com/6aAMV

So I need to find the current labeled as a function of time. THe switch opens at t=0 and I drew the circuit after the switch opens.

I found the initial current to be -4 and the voltage on the capacitor to be 8.

I'm having trouble trying to find [itex]di_L(0)/dt[/itex]. I know you just need to do a simple loop around the whole circuit, [itex]v_c+v_l+v_r=0[/itex]. The problem is I don't know the signs of the voltages, or rather I don't know what they should be. I get either [itex]di_L(0)/dt = -40/10, -24/10[/itex].
    Same for finding the second order eq.
    [itex]1/c\int i_c+ L di_L/dt + 8 i_L = 0[/itex] Simple loop around the outside. Are signs correct?
    and
    [itex]i_c - i_L - V_2/2 = 0[/itex] Node equation at the top node, V is equal to the voltage across the inductor and 8 ohm resistor so substitute

[itex] i_c - i_L - 1/2 (Ldi_L/dt + 8i_L)=0[/itex]
    Substitute the third into the first, do algebra, and find answer.
    That part should be easy. What I need to know is whether the signs are correct. That is, when doing kichoff mesh and nodes how do you know what is positive and negative [or rather what side the element should be placed on]?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The signs of the potential changes are determined by the assumed direction of the current. The components of capacitance and inductance have their equations defined assuming a current directed into the component and the "+" reference at the terminal where the current enters.

attachment.php?attachmentid=53095&stc=1&d=1353273440.gif

Note, for example, that in the above figure for the inductor that a small positive going change in current "dI" results in a positive change in the voltage across the inductor, thus giving the equation V = L dI/dt. Similarly for the capacitor, a positive current flowing into the capacitor increases the potential across the capacitor over time.

For this problem I would probably solve it using a state variable (Laplace Transform) approach, since it handles all the initial condition details easily. Having a good table of Laplace transforms helps :smile:

Attached Files:

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    I think I finally understand this + and -.
    I picked the current going to the right around the loop. Labeled each element with a plus and minus, current entered the plus so each one is positive. Blah blah balh, it all worked out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook