Second Quantization: Momentum, Kinetic & Potential Energies + 2 Particles

In summary, the question is asking you to explain momentum, kinetic and potential energy in second quantization. Second quantization is a way of thinking about particles that is different from first quantization. In second quantization, you can only have one fermion in a state and Bosons don't have that restriction. You would need to consult a more detailed book or lecture notes to answer this question.
Ene Dene
Write momentum, kinetic and potential energy, and two particle interaction in second quantization.
That is the question that I need to answer for my exam, but I don't have any idea what second quantization is, except that you can solve harmonic oscilator by using ladder operators. I can't find any connection between that problem and my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the formal definition but I know that we work in it when dealing with more than one undistinguishable particles. Than states can be symmetric for bosons and antisymmetric for fermions resulting that only one fermion can be in one state while bosons don't have that restriction.

From harmonic oscilator:

[tex]a=\sqrt{m\omega/2\hbar}x+ip/\sqrt{2m\omega\hbar}[/tex]
[tex]a^+=\sqrt{m\omega/2\hbar}x-ip/\sqrt{2m\omega\hbar}[/tex]

from such definition I have:

[tex]p=i\sqrt{\hbar m\omega/2}(a^+-a)[/tex] (1)

Would that momentum in second quantization?

If it is, I'm not really satisfied with such "explanation". Why did we choose a and a+ operators in such way? Why is it important?

I asume that then I could write the kinetic and potential energy in such way simply buy putting (1) in hamilton equation?

What about two particle interaction, I still don't have an idea how to write that in 2.quantization.

Ene Dene said:
I asume that then I could write the kinetic and potential energy in such way simply buy putting (1) in hamilton equation?
Noo... that wouldn't work H=p^2/2m+V, so I can't express kinetic energy in that way...
So the question stands...

Ene Dene said:
Write momentum, kinetic and potential energy, and two particle interaction in second quantization.
Is that the exact question? Please write down the question exactly as it was given to you.

Before you can attempt answering this question, you need to study at least the basics of second quantization. You will find this in any standard many-body theory text (e.g., Fetter & Walecka, Reinhardt & Greiner).

Last edited:
That is the exact question.
I looked a few books (read whole Griffiths and most of Shiff) and they all mention lowering and rising operators when it comes to harmonic oscillator. But I haven't found any explanation why are these operators defined in why that they are, and how would I write a general hamiltonian (not just for harmonic oscillator, that I could do) or two particle interaction in terms of them.

I can only guess that you're not using the right book, or the lecture notes are not that illuminating. See the first chapter of F.Schwabl's book "Advanced Quantum Mechanics", 3rd Ed, Springer Verlag, 2000. You should be able to answer your question after consulting it.

OK, I'll try to find that book, at least, now I have some idea where to look.
Thank you.

Other references:

*Section 17.4 of Ballentine's book :Quantum Mechanics. A modern development.2nd Edition.
*Section 13.6 of Galindo & Pascual's book: Quantum Mechanics (it's in the 2nd volume)
*Section 64 of Landau and Lifschitz' book: Quantum Mechanics. The Nonrelativistic theory.

I found the Schwabl book and first chapeter is just what I need. Thank you

Hello!
Of course Schwabl is very good! but could u help me about second quantization?
i didn't understand the result:
for bosons it was written: Ssum(alpha)of /i><j/(alpha)/i1...iN>*1/(n1!...nN!)^(-1/2)=?
Thanks in advance

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used to describe systems with an indefinite number of particles. It is based on the concept of quantum field theory, which describes particles as excitations in a field rather than individual objects. Second quantization is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and particle physics.

2. How does second quantization account for momentum?

In second quantization, momentum is represented by operators that act on the wave function of a system. These operators create or destroy particles with specific momentum values. The expectation value of these operators can give information about the average momentum of particles in a system.

3. What are kinetic and potential energies in second quantization?

In second quantization, kinetic energy is the energy associated with the motion of particles, while potential energy is the energy associated with the interaction between particles. These energies are represented by operators that act on the wave function of a system. The expectation values of these operators can give information about the average kinetic and potential energies of particles in a system.

4. How does second quantization describe two-particle systems?

In second quantization, two-particle systems are described using creation and annihilation operators for each particle. These operators act on the wave function of the system to create or destroy particles and can also account for the interaction between particles. The expectation values of these operators can give information about the properties of a two-particle system, such as the distance between particles or their relative energy.

5. What are the main applications of second quantization?

Second quantization is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and particle physics. It is particularly useful for describing systems with an indefinite number of particles, such as in the study of condensed matter systems or in particle physics experiments. It also allows for the calculation of properties and behaviors of systems that would be difficult or impossible to obtain using traditional methods.