1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Temporal dimension

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    Hello to everybody. I had brought up the topic of extra spatial dimension in the math sector of the forum and was directed to the physics section for a question to a second temporal dimension.

My questions are the following. would a second temporal dimension run counter to the current arrow of time? What are the implicications of a second temoporal dimension? Any helpful links goes a long way.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
  4. Mar 7, 2014 #3
    If you add another dimension, then its direction has to be orthogonal to the 'original' time axis. Consider time as a bead sliding on a straight wire, then the other time has to be sliding on a wire at a right angle to that. I dunno about implications of it off the top of my head, it's hard to imagine a 5 dimensional space-time.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4
    Pretty interesting stuff. I suppose if that's the way nature really works though then what we experience would be a result of 5D-space time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook