Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Temporal dimension

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    Hello to everybody. I had brought up the topic of extra spatial dimension in the math sector of the forum and was directed to the physics section for a question to a second temporal dimension.

My questions are the following. would a second temporal dimension run counter to the current arrow of time? What are the implicications of a second temoporal dimension? Any helpful links goes a long way.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
  4. Mar 7, 2014 #3
    If you add another dimension, then its direction has to be orthogonal to the 'original' time axis. Consider time as a bead sliding on a straight wire, then the other time has to be sliding on a wire at a right angle to that. I dunno about implications of it off the top of my head, it's hard to imagine a 5 dimensional space-time.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4
    Pretty interesting stuff. I suppose if that's the way nature really works though then what we experience would be a result of 5D-space time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook