Best Secondary Monitors for Small Desks Under €150

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, a monitor with no reflective screen will be less strain on the eyes. The LG 24MK600M is a good choice for a monitor with no reflective screen.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm looking to buy a secondary monitor because I'll be working for some months on project and my laptop has a 13-inch screen. I'll be doing a lot of reading and a bit of coding so I'd like something that does not strain my eyes too much. Since I'm pretty dumb when it comes to technology I could really use some help.

1) Do you have any suggestion for the size? (my only limitation is that my home desk is pretty small, I think approximately 120cm*40cm)

2) Do you happen to know a particular monitor which has some good properties wrt eyes-straining? I really hate to work on pc for too long.

I don't really want to spend too much money, but I do have some savings so I would say 150€ is my maximum budget (would like to keep it to 100 though)

Thanks,
Ric

Computer science news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Do you have any suggestion for the size? (my only limitation is that my home desk is pretty small, I think approximately 120cm*40cm)
For monitors, the bigger the better. Find the largest monitor that you can fit on your desk and budget.
dRic2 said:
Do you happen to know a particular monitor which has some good properties wrt eyes-straining? I really hate to work on pc for too long.
Nowadays there are monitors that are not reflective. My laptop and our desktop both have monitors that are not reflective. Somewhat like this:

Screen_cleaner1.jpg

On the other hand, our TV screen acts like a mirror: you can see your face and everything around you on the screen. These screens increase the strain on the eyes.

All my books are on my laptop, so I have to stare at the screen for long hours. I have a problem of not blinking my eyes frequently when looking at the screen constantly. So, my eyes were becoming dry. I visited an ophthalmologist, and he recommended eye drops that keep the eyes moist.

Wrichik Basu said:
All my books are on my laptop
:wideeyed::wideeyed:

It would be impossible for me...

Thanks for the tip, I'll consider it in the future. But my current desktop is not suited for a set-up like that

I use a 24" Dell business monitor for that that sort of thing when I use my laptop.

Likes dRic2
With a desk that size you are going to be pretty close so 24" should be plenty. I always end up buying iiyama but other name brands are OK.

Likes dRic2
It's pretty much my maximum budget ( my poor savings... :cry: :cry: ) but I really like this one: LG 24MK600M. What do yo think? It seams to posses a "reading mode".

edited out here due to LaTeX rendering error -- re-posted via edit in post #11

Last edited:
Likes dRic2
@sysprog Thank you very much for checking it out!

Wow ##\LaTeX## didn't render in my post (#9), but it did in this one ##-## I'm going try reposting the content in this post ##-##

Having read the specs on the LG 24MK600M (at https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-24MK600M), and in view of your situation as described, I think that it's probably a good choice ##-## I saw a used one on ebay for $112 (USD) ##-## the seller (98% positive feedback >100k transactions ##-## I think of that as borderline) says it has a damaged HDMI1 and a good HDMI2 and is otherwise in good shape ##-## free shipping within the US ##-## don't know about international ##\dots## https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-24MK600...hash=item23d5a5e000:m:mecymoVMCOy7uXmRkUoQgDQ ##-## in the US you can get a new one Amazon witha warranty for not much more, so a new one from somewhere would probably be the way to go ##\dots##

ok so the same content rendered correctly when edited into this post ##-## @berkeman, I suspect a MathJax server error ##-## it persists through edits in post #9, but this post renders properly, so I think that probably a database has a field in error for post #9 . . .

Last edited:
Have you thought of checking local thrift / charity stores ? I got two orphaned 17" flat-screens with stands and VESA mount holes for £ 10. Okay, they were £ 4 each, but neither of us had change from £ 10 note. I had data and power cables, just had to get short enough bolts to mount the DVI-equipped screen to monitor arm off the end of my desk...

the_cad_tower_is_live__7%.jpg

Sorry, more untidy than usual due low-flying 'polter-cats'...

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and sysprog

1. What is the ideal size for a secondary monitor on a small desk?

The ideal size for a secondary monitor on a small desk would be around 24 inches. This size provides enough screen real estate for multitasking without taking up too much desk space.

2. Can I use a secondary monitor with a laptop on a small desk?

Yes, you can easily connect a secondary monitor to your laptop on a small desk. Most laptops have a HDMI or VGA port that allows you to connect an external monitor. You can also use a USB-C to HDMI adapter if your laptop doesn't have a dedicated port.

3. How do I choose the best resolution for a secondary monitor on a small desk?

The best resolution for a secondary monitor on a small desk would be 1920x1080 or Full HD. This resolution provides clear and crisp images without taking up too much screen space. However, if you need a larger workspace, you can opt for a higher resolution monitor.

4. Are there any special features I should look for in a secondary monitor for a small desk?

Some special features to consider when choosing a secondary monitor for a small desk include a slim design, adjustable stand, and built-in speakers. These features can help save space on your desk and provide a more ergonomic setup.

5. Can I find a good quality secondary monitor for under €150?

Yes, there are plenty of good quality secondary monitors available for under €150. You may have to compromise on certain features such as resolution or size, but there are still many options that offer good value for money.