1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SecondOrder Nonhomogenous Linear Differential Equations

1. Jan 28, 2004 #1

First here is the question that I am supposed to solve:

Solve the following nonhomogeneous differential equations:

b) y'' + 2y' + 2y = e^-x

c) 2y'' + y' = cos 2x.

I am supposed to be using the method of variation of parameters to solve these equations. What my problem is I end up getting to a point where I have two equations in which I should be able to solve for the derivative of parameter one (u'sub1) and the derivative of parameter two (u'sub2). Unfortunately I am getting stuck. And I am not sure why.

For b) I have the following two equations:

u'sub1 ysub1 + u'sub2 ysub2 = 0 = u'sub1 e^-x + u'sub2 xe^-x

and the particular equation

u'sub2 - u'sub2 x + usub2 x - u'sub1 + usub1 = 1

From these I am supposed to find u'sub1 and u'sub2 and eventually come to find usub1 and usub2.

Now when I solve for

u'sub1 e^-x + u'sub2 xe^-x = 0

I get u'sub1 = (-u'sub2 xe^-x)/e^-x = -u'sub2 x

I then sub. into the other equation for u'sub1

u'sub2 - u'sub2 x + usub2 x - u'sub1 + usub1 = 1

u'sub2 - u'sub2 x + usub2 x + u'sub2 x + usub1 = 1

which becomes

u'sub2 + usub2 x + usub1 = 1

But I am stumped here. How do I solve for u'sub2 when I still have usub2 and usub1? I know I am missing something incredibly obvious. I just can't seem to know what.

For question b) I am having similar problems - still trying to solve for u'sub1 and u'sub2.

Update: I have figured out question c). I am still working on part b however.

2nd Update: I figured out question b as well. Thanks to all who took the time to look at my post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted