Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seconds passed

1. May 30, 2009 #1
    does every second repeat itself when time moves forward,but the events that occur
    in each second are not the same,so do we know the no.of seconds that have passed
    from the time life began?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2009 #2
    this is philosophical, not relativistic.

4. May 30, 2009 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not a question that can be answered by science, but that doesn't mean it's philosophy. (Philosophy isn't defined as "stuff that doesn't make sense"). The reasoning that leads to the conclusion that science can't answer this question...now that's philosophy.

5. May 30, 2009 #4

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the efficient way you've added a little humour just by putting one word into italics!:smile:

6. May 30, 2009 #5
    so be it,but don't we know the seconds that have passed since time began?
    we observe day to-day time using a clock,but time that has elapsed and is still
    going on is measured in seconds.Which second are we in?

7. May 30, 2009 #6
    from where did the idea stem that seconds repeat themselves??

8. May 30, 2009 #7
    Your question of whether or not seconds repeat themselves is a bit :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:
    Personally i think that second's do not exactly repeat themselves seeing how you could also argue microseconds do and go down further than that, but i shall tell you that live began at around 3.8 Billion years ago. (No one knows it to the exact second though)

9. May 30, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't have any idea what could be meant by "seconds repeat themselves". A second is a unit of measure. That's like asking whether "inches" repeat themselves.

As for the question "Do we know how many seconds have passed since life began", we do not even know to the year or century when life began!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook