Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secret towers of the Himalayas

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Astronuc, this is the show with the Tibetan Sky burial, if I am not mistaken.

This is a wonderful show about the stone towers of Tibet. It's on the science channel tonight at 9PM CST here, you might want to check your local listings.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Astronuc

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Mk

I remember watching a show on the Discovery channel about these tall stone towers in Tibet, it was very interesting. If it is the same show, I recommend it, if not, I'm sure it will also be good :) Thanks, Evo.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4

Evo

It's the same show.

Either I missed it or they cut the Air Burial scene a bit. I remember them saying that the reason the monks choose this is so that they would spare an animal's life by feeding the vultures with their bodies.

6. Sep 7, 2008 #5

Astronuc

I finally saw the show. WOW! Far out!

They did show one of the sky burials, but it was not associated with one of the towers. They have a slab where a special group of men cuts up the body and tosses the parts to the vultures.

Age of towers:

Frederique Darragon has a website - http://www.unicornfoundation.org/page/english/inthenews.asp

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6

Evo

I'm a Frederique Darragon wannabe. A truly amazing woman.

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7

Astronuc

She was apparently planning to study snow leopards, but a colleague suggested she go see the towers. She saw a few, abandoned the leopard study, and ended up cataloguing the towers. She's trying to get the towers and parts of the region declared a World Heritage site under UNESCO.

Four regions: Qiangtang, rGyalrong, Miniak and Kongpo have towers with the oldest towers being in Kongpo, which is westernmost. Perhaps the towers toward the east were simply copied for reasons of prestige. There is a lot of history in that area. The people speak dialects some of which are related to Tibetan.

9. Sep 8, 2008 #8

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That video sounds like one I would like to see.

ref

It is interesting they found 8 and 12 pointed star-shapred towers. Both 8 and 12 have special meaning in Chinese culture.
    Eight is a particularly lucky number, believed to be linked to wealth and prosperity. They felt strongly enough about it, to begin their Olympic games on 8/8/08 at 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm.
    For twelve, there are 12 Earthly Branches, in their organization of time, leading to 12 years in zodiac cycle, 12 months in year, 12 units in a day.

The oldest towers she dated (1200yrs old), could have been built during the Tang Dynasty, which is considered a high point in Chinese civilization. Buddhism flourished as well as literature and art, duiring the Tang period.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?