Women's Secrets: Spilled in 47 Hours & 15 Minutes

• Thread starter drizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, researchers found that women are overcome by a burning desire to share gossip as soon as they hear it. Depending on who the gossip is about, their boyfriend, husband, best friend or mother are most likely to be the initial recipients of the information. Alcohol usually gives us a helping hand to blurt out secrets – with more than half admitting a glass or two of wine could prompt them to dish the dirt. Michael Cox, UK Director of Wines of Chile, which commissioned the research to mark Chile's National Day on Friday, said: "It's official – women can't keep secrets. No matter how precious the piece of information, it's often out in the public domain within 48 hours.
drizzle
Gold Member
Researchers found that women are overcome by a burning desire to share gossip as soon as they hear it.

They will typically spill the beans to at least one other person in 47 hours and 15 minutes.

:/

Depending on who the gossip is about, their boyfriend, husband, best friend or mother are most likely to be the initial recipients of the information.

The study of 3,000 women aged between 18 and 65 also found that four out of ten admitted they were unable to keep a secret – no matter how personal or confidential the news was.

It also found that alcohol usually gives us a helping hand to blurt out secrets – with more than half admitting a glass or two of wine could prompt them to dish the dirt.

Michael Cox, UK Director of Wines of Chile, which commissioned the research to mark Chile's National Day on Friday, said: "It's official – women can't keep secrets.

"We were really keen to find out with this survey how many secrets people are told. What we didn't bank on was how quickly these are passed on by those we confide in.

"No matter how precious the piece of information, it's often out in the public domain within 48 hours.

"That means every single Brit who has confided in a friend should be worried because they don't know where their secret is heading.

"The fact they offload gossip to someone completely unrelated to the matter or in a different social group can be comforting but while nine in ten girls deem themselves trustworthy – they still have spilt the beans.

"And juicy gossip can really flow after a couple of glasses of wine."

The study found the nation's ladies hear three nuggets of gossip a week, but end up passing it on to at least one other person.

Six in 10 end up telling someone completely uninvolved so the person the secret belongs to won't know.

Three in 10 admitted having the urge to reveal someone's secret. Nearly half (45 per cent) disclose secrets just for the weight to be lifted from their shoulders.

However, two thirds end up feeling guilty are passing on secrets.

Three quarters say they are capable of keeping quiet about a secret, and 83 per cent consider themselves 100 per cent trustworthy within each group of friends.

Yet, four in ten admit to gossiping to a close friend from another friendship group.

More than four in ten think it is acceptable to share a friend's secret with someone who does not know them, with over 40 per cent saying their husband is their ultimate confidant.

Intimate issues, true cost of purchases and affairs emerged top of the secret-keeping list, with girls most likely to share a secret chatting face-to-face, on the phone or via a text message.

Fortunately for some though, over a quarter (27 per cent) said they forgot what they were told the following day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6199822/Women-cannot-keep-a-secret-for-longer-than-47-hours.html" [Broken]

That reminds me of a joke;

The three fastest ways of communication in the world; telephone, television and tell a women. Still need a faster way? ... Tell her not to tell anyone! :biggrin:

Seriously, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would tend to agree, woman share more gossip then they think. Even I, have talked to another group of friends, about something going on with the first group. It may be gossip, but it also allows me to vent to people who could give me another point of view.

I also never say any thing about anyone that I would not say to their faces. I know my fair share of men who gossip too. While its not like womans gossip, it normally begins with "That A$$ you should hear what he did to his {house, wife, kids, car}!".

If someone asks me not to tell, then I really will, never tell. If I give my promise, I am good for it.

i was about 8 years old when i learned not to trust women.

Just like in "The Dish", when mayor Bob McIntyre asks his wife if she can keep a secret and she giggles and replies, "Of course not!"

Men are different. Decades ago, I was working as a security guard at an Acme/Click (kind of like a Walmart) and perusing the shoplifting reports as entertainment. Entertaining indeed! There was one for my wife's sister!

In twenty-seven years, I've never told anyone about her shoplifting.

Doh! That was stupid. Doesn't matter, she's an ex sister-in-law anyway.

That's okay. I've got a different secret I've kept almost as long about, uh, ... well, maybe another time.

Proton Soup said:

Better to learn early then after you get married! :)

Women are so tempting to confide in, it's a trait they perfect as soon as the master their native language. The better they are at it the more popular they are with the rest of the gossip spinners. If a women can't develop some good gossip, she just doesn't get the rank in the feminine circles.

I think men gossip a lot too. If they want to talk about another guy who isn't there, they'll say what they need to say and be done with it. Women will talk and talk about that person until they don't have anything left to say about them, then they'll start making stuff up.

drankin said:
Better to learn early then after you get married! :)

Women are so tempting to confide in, it's a trait they perfect as soon as the master their native language. The better they are at it the more popular they are with the rest of the gossip spinners. If a women can't develop some good gossip, she just doesn't get the rank in the feminine circles.

leroyjenkens said:
I think men gossip a lot too. If they want to talk about another guy who isn't there, they'll say what they need to say and be done with it. Women will talk and talk about that person until they don't have anything left to say about them, then they'll start making stuff up.

Men never gossip! They just happen to run into good gossip diggers at the worst times.

leroyjenkens said:

I think one key differnce is that guys will say things about other guys in their presence! Plus I think as far as this article goes, guys don't need to divert to other "friendship groups" with secrets. This article is awesome though, although it makes me wonder why someone needed to be paid to tell us this :).

Hmm I just realized I probably shouldn't have my name attached to this post less Evo and Moonbear and the like find out :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
I think one key differnce is that guys will say things about other guys in their presence! Plus I think as far as this article goes, guys don't need to divert to other "friendship groups" with secrets. This article is awesome though, although it makes me wonder why someone needed to be paid to tell us this :).

Hmm I just realized I probably shouldn't have my name attached to this post less Evo and Moonbear and the like find out :biggrin:

Can you imagine the gossip they have on us??

hypatia said:
If someone asks me not to tell, then I really will, never tell. If I give my promise, I am good for it.

article said:
"... but while nine in ten girls deem themselves trustworthy – they still have spilt the beans. "

Don't trust her!

drankin said:
Can you imagine the gossip they have on us??

On you and Pengwino?

You should tell hypatia.

I think I would like to hear the drankin and Pengwuino gossip.

Math Is Hard said:
I think I would like to hear the drankin and Pengwuino gossip.

You'll never get any dirt on me!

drizzle said:

drankin said:
If a women can't develop some good gossip, she just doesn't get the rank in the feminine circles.

I'm with you, drizzle. Just what, precisely, is this "rank" thing you think you're expert in, drankin?

Me? Expert in feminine gossip psychology? I got nothing, this is my version of male gossip.

I posted this once before:

Me: Can you keep a secret?
My wife: Yes.
Me: So can I.
My wife: You're a dead man Snyder.

drankin said:
Me? Expert in feminine gossip psychology? I got nothing, this is my version of male gossip.

So, then, it's actually men who gossip in order to gain rank and you were simply projecting?

GeorginaS said:
So, then, it's actually men who gossip in order to gain rank and you were simply projecting?

Huh? Sure, I'm "projecting" I guess. Everyone gossips, but that's not the topic of the thread. Women are much better at gossip. Much. :)

Some supporting data: http://search.rja-ads.com/pdfs/demographics/natenq-demographics.pdf [Broken]

Thank you for reinforceing my distrust in humanity, especially women.

Seriously, I know better than to trust a woman with a secret! I told (who I thought was) a female friend of mine a secret in the morning, and it was all over school by lunch!

She's not my friend anymore for obvious reasons.

(Note: This is also when I became a cynic.)

In my experience women are much worse about gossiping than men. Every woman I have ever dated has told me almost every dirty little secret she knew about any person she happened to bring up in conversation. I have even gotten to listen to things I would much prefer to not have heard about friends of mine.

Men I think tend to relish the idea that they know something that no one else knows. In my experience a male is much more likely to hint or outright say that they know something about someone but withhold the information.

Personally I occasionally discuss what might be a secret about someone but usually only with friends I have who are not going to meet the other and only if I am concerned about the person or the secret concerns me as well. I also tell stories that others have told me in confidence if I think that they are interesting but without names and only to people who I doubt could ever figure out who the story is about.

GeorginaS said:

I think that his idea was that if a person is part of a group of peers that tends to swap gossip they will stand to gain popularity and influence in that group by having more and juicier gossip. While I have no study to back me up I would not be surprised to find that there is a strong correlation between the tendency to gossip and the desire for social climbing.

I must disagree. Women are just as good at keeping a secret as men, it just takes more of them to do it.

skeptic2 said:
I must disagree. Women are just as good at keeping a secret as men, it just takes more of them to do it.

You have an interesting definition of "just as good" then. Usually, if it takes 10 women to do the same job 1 man could do, then you'd hire 2 women (affirmative action, you know).

I notice men get unfairly insulted for being better at sex, too. They're almost always faster than women and get made fun of because of it.

It's part of today's culture where a person seems to get put down for excelling.

I suppose women had a tough time during the caveman times and had to rely on quick exchange of information.

waht said:
I suppose women had a tough time during the caveman times and had to rely on quick exchange of information.

How would their times be harder than that of the men? Weren't men allowed to hit other men? Weren't they allowed to team up and beat up one guy together if the guy they wanted to hit was scary?

Or because they got stuck watching the brats and were less mobile?

"Tough time" is kind of subjective.

Having to spend a lot of time stuck around each other improves communication. Having to spend a lot of time competing with someone, and not wanting them to know what your were going to do next, inhibits communication.

(And gossip is a quick exchange of information?)

GeorginaS said:

drankin said:
Huh? Sure, I'm "projecting" I guess. Everyone gossips, but that's not the topic of the thread. Women are much better at gossip. Much. :)

I was teasing. But I guess that doesn't translate well on a message board. You'd have to be able to see the playful smile on my lips when I wrote that.

GeorginaS said:
I was teasing. But I guess that doesn't translate well on a message board. You'd have to be able to see the playful smile on my lips when I wrote that.

It was obvious GeorginaS, it’s just men! Can’t read between the lines :biggrin:

waht said:

Caveman times, what...? Women http://www.theonion.com/content/news/woman_domesticated" [Broken]

lisab said:
Caveman times, what...? Women http://www.theonion.com/content/news/woman_domesticated" [Broken]

It does not explain how children were raised ...

lisab said:
You mean that they roamed the Earth wild for a thousand years after the Earth was created? Wow!

Proton Soup said:

Lucky...Learned hell of a lot faster than I did.

TheStatutoryApe said:
In my experience women are much worse about gossiping than men. Every woman I have ever dated has told me almost every dirty little secret she knew about any person she happened to bring up in conversation. I have even gotten to listen to things I would much prefer to not have heard about friends of mine.

Men I think tend to relish the idea that they know something that no one else knows. In my experience a male is much more likely to hint or outright say that they know something about someone but withhold the information.

I couldn't agree more.

You realize, right, that not all women are gossip mongers? Perhaps the typical woman gossips, but I'm not a typical woman (as evidenced by me pursuing physics) and I don't gossip. I have better things to think about.

lisab said:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/woman_domesticated" [Broken]

I can't believe you guys are my colleagues! No wonder women have such a hard time getting academic positions. Before you've even carried on a conversation with us, you've already decided we're worthless, gossipy human beings. How the h3ll am I supposed to share the results of an experiment I've conducted or give a talk when so many of you have decided before-hand that I'm not worth listening to?

<h2>1. What is "Women's Secrets: Spilled in 47 Hours & 15 Minutes" about?</h2><p>"Women's Secrets: Spilled in 47 Hours & 15 Minutes" is a documentary film that explores the inner thoughts, experiences, and struggles of women from different backgrounds and cultures. It aims to shed light on the complexities of being a woman and the societal pressures and expectations that come with it.</p><h2>2. Who is the target audience for this film?</h2><p>The target audience for this film is anyone who is interested in understanding the perspectives and experiences of women. It can also be a valuable resource for educators, researchers, and individuals looking to promote gender equality and women's empowerment.</p><h2>3. How was the data for this film collected?</h2><p>The data for this film was collected through interviews with women from diverse backgrounds. The filmmakers also conducted research and consulted with experts in the fields of gender studies, psychology, and sociology to provide a comprehensive and accurate portrayal of women's experiences.</p><h2>4. What are some of the key themes explored in this film?</h2><p>Some of the key themes explored in this film include gender roles and stereotypes, body image and beauty standards, relationships and sexuality, motherhood and work-life balance, and the impact of societal expectations on women's mental health and well-being.</p><h2>5. How long is the film and where can I watch it?</h2><p>The film is 47 hours and 15 minutes long, as indicated in the title. However, it is divided into shorter segments for easier viewing. It can be watched on various streaming platforms or purchased as a DVD. Check the film's official website or social media pages for more information on where to watch it.</p>

1. What is "Women's Secrets: Spilled in 47 Hours & 15 Minutes" about?

"Women's Secrets: Spilled in 47 Hours & 15 Minutes" is a documentary film that explores the inner thoughts, experiences, and struggles of women from different backgrounds and cultures. It aims to shed light on the complexities of being a woman and the societal pressures and expectations that come with it.

2. Who is the target audience for this film?

The target audience for this film is anyone who is interested in understanding the perspectives and experiences of women. It can also be a valuable resource for educators, researchers, and individuals looking to promote gender equality and women's empowerment.

3. How was the data for this film collected?

The data for this film was collected through interviews with women from diverse backgrounds. The filmmakers also conducted research and consulted with experts in the fields of gender studies, psychology, and sociology to provide a comprehensive and accurate portrayal of women's experiences.

4. What are some of the key themes explored in this film?

Some of the key themes explored in this film include gender roles and stereotypes, body image and beauty standards, relationships and sexuality, motherhood and work-life balance, and the impact of societal expectations on women's mental health and well-being.

5. How long is the film and where can I watch it?

The film is 47 hours and 15 minutes long, as indicated in the title. However, it is divided into shorter segments for easier viewing. It can be watched on various streaming platforms or purchased as a DVD. Check the film's official website or social media pages for more information on where to watch it.