Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secrets and women

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

:/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6199822/Women-cannot-keep-a-secret-for-longer-than-47-hours.html" [Broken]

That reminds me of a joke;

The three fastest ways of communication in the world; telephone, television and tell a women. Still need a faster way? ..... Tell her not to tell anyone! :biggrin:

Seriously, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2
    I would tend to agree, woman share more gossip then they think. Even I, have talked to another group of friends, about something going on with the first group. It may be gossip, but it also allows me to vent to people who could give me another point of view.

I also never say any thing about anyone that I would not say to their faces. I know my fair share of men who gossip too. While its not like womans gossip, it normally begins with "That A$$ you should hear what he did to his {house, wife, kids, car}!".

If someone asks me not to tell, then I really will, never tell. If I give my promise, I am good for it.

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    i was about 8 years old when i learned not to trust women.

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just like in "The Dish", when mayor Bob McIntyre asks his wife if she can keep a secret and she giggles and replies, "Of course not!"

Men are different. Decades ago, I was working as a security guard at an Acme/Click (kind of like a Walmart) and perusing the shoplifting reports as entertainment. Entertaining indeed! There was one for my wife's sister!

In twenty-seven years, I've never told anyone about her shoplifting.

Doh! That was stupid. Doesn't matter, she's an ex sister-in-law anyway.

That's okay. I've got a different secret I've kept almost as long about, uh, .... well, maybe another time.

6. Dec 23, 2009 #5
    Better to learn early then after you get married! :)

Women are so tempting to confide in, it's a trait they perfect as soon as the master their native language. The better they are at it the more popular they are with the rest of the gossip spinners. If a women can't develop some good gossip, she just doesn't get the rank in the feminine circles.

7. Dec 23, 2009 #6
    I think men gossip a lot too. If they want to talk about another guy who isn't there, they'll say what they need to say and be done with it. Women will talk and talk about that person until they don't have anything left to say about them, then they'll start making stuff up.

8. Dec 23, 2009 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Men never gossip! They just happen to run into good gossip diggers at the worst times.

9. Dec 23, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think one key differnce is that guys will say things about other guys in their presence! Plus I think as far as this article goes, guys don't need to divert to other "friendship groups" with secrets. This article is awesome though, although it makes me wonder why someone needed to be paid to tell us this :).

Hmm I just realized I probably shouldnt have my name attached to this post less Evo and Moonbear and the like find out :biggrin:

10. Dec 23, 2009 #9
    Can you imagine the gossip they have on us??

11. Dec 23, 2009 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't trust her!

12. Dec 23, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On you and Pengwino?

You should tell hypatia.

13. Dec 23, 2009 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I would like to hear the drankin and Pengwuino gossip.

14. Dec 23, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You'll never get any dirt on me!

15. Dec 23, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

16. Dec 23, 2009 #15
  17. Dec 23, 2009 #16
    Me? Expert in feminine gossip psychology? I got nothing, this is my version of male gossip.

18. Dec 23, 2009 #17
    I posted this once before:

Me: Can you keep a secret?
    My wife: Yes.
    Me: So can I.
    My wife: You're a dead man Snyder.

19. Dec 24, 2009 #18
    So, then, it's actually men who gossip in order to gain rank and you were simply projecting?

20. Dec 24, 2009 #19
    Huh? Sure, I'm "projecting" I guess. Everyone gossips, but that's not the topic of the thread. Women are much better at gossip. Much. :)

21. Dec 24, 2009 #20
    Some supporting data: http://search.rja-ads.com/pdfs/demographics/natenq-demographics.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook