Sectional Drawings: Understand & Draw Z to Z

• Thread starter drewzy29
  • Start date
In summary: From the top view that's all its showing though, it keeps going from the upright piece into the circle at 90 degrees (most likely) and meets the piece under the cylinder. That's what I understand from the dotted lines.
drewzy29
Hi guys,

Don't understand the attached file at all. It makes no sense.

It's sectional views. And I'm supposed to draw the sectional view from Z to Z in the bottom view drawing. Which all hidden lines from the top view are already drawn. What is expected of me from this?

Attachments

• 20140626_132713.jpg
    20140626_132713.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
drewzy29 said:
Hi guys,

Don't understand the attached file at all. It makes no sense.

It's sectional views. And I'm supposed to draw the sectional view from Z to Z in the bottom view drawing. Which all hidden lines from the top view are already drawn. What is expected of me from this?

You are given a top view and the front view. IDK where you are getting 'bottom view' from unless it's cut off in the image you posted.

You are supposed to draw the cross section of the object using the cutting plane Z-Z as shown in the top view. The shaded area in the front view represents a plate with four corners chamfered located as shown by the dashed lines in the top view.

In other words, if you were to saw clean thru the object along line Z-Z and pulled the pieces apart, what would you see, looking at the object where the saw cut was made?

Take your best shot, upload it, and we can discuss further.

Hey mate. I had a go. Do the sectional lines mean viewed from the RHS?

Attachments

• 1403758937612.jpg
    1403758937612.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 427
SteamKing said:
You are given a top view and the front view. IDK where you are getting 'bottom view' from unless it's cut off in the image you posted.

You are supposed to draw the cross section of the object using the cutting plane Z-Z as shown in the top view. The shaded area in the front view represents a plate with four corners chamfered located as shown by the dashed lines in the top view.

In other words, if you were to saw clean thru the object along line Z-Z and pulled the pieces apart, what would you see, looking at the object where the saw cut was made?

Take your best shot, upload it, and we can discuss further.

Do you think this is right? Is there any other possible answer? Need to hand it in, in a few hours. Sorry for the urgency

drewzy29 said:
Do you think this is right? Is there any other possible answer? Need to hand it in, in a few hours. Sorry for the urgency

Your attempt looks good for the most part. However, for the vertical plate, are the chamfers really visible where Z-Z cuts thru the piece? Think about it.

SteamKing said:
Your attempt looks good for the most part. However, for the vertical plate, are the chamfers really visible where Z-Z cuts thru the piece? Think about it.

Ahh no, you are right. Would the solid lines simply need to be changed to dotted lines to represent the chamfers being behind the vertical plate?

I wouldn't do that, because the chamfers are located some distance from the Z-Z cutting plane. I think they should be removed entirely. In other words, the section view should show only what would be visible if the part were cut at the cutting plane. Showing anything else would just cause confusion.

SteamKing said:
I wouldn't do that, because the chamfers are located some distance from the Z-Z cutting plane. I think they should be removed entirely. In other words, the section view should show only what would be visible if the part were cut at the cutting plane. Showing anything else would just cause confusion.

Hey mate, that makes total sense. I'll rub out the lines and keep it easy. Thanks so much. Sorry to bust your balls, but have another one below that I'm unsure of. It looks easy but not sure how to show it, looks like a hole in the middle of it, which would be shown as two solid lines I think. I just think it's hard when its cut down the middle of the upright plate, it'd look the same in my opinion.

Attachments

• 1403766506422.jpg
    1403766506422.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 418
It won't look exactly the same. Think about the circle representing the outer of the cylinder. It meets the web so there won't be a line at that point. 90 degrees of the circle will be "missing".

Edit: Actually a bit more than 90 degrees.

CWatters said:
It won't look exactly the same. Think about the circle representing the outer of the cylinder. It meets the web so there won't be a line at that point. 90 degrees of the circle will be "missing".

Edit: Actually a bit more than 90 degrees.

From the top view that's all its showing though, it keeps going from the upright piece into the circle at 90 degrees (most likely) and meets the piece under the cylinder. That's what I understand from the dotted lines. I don't understand how else it can be drawn?

Edit: keep in mind the outter cylinder is already printed on the paper along with the bottom plate as a guideline. So I can't really rub it out lol, which is why I have a hard time getting it

This is what I would expect the section to look like (I've not shown hidden lines)...

I note your comment about not being able to rub out lines they already provided. I can't explain some of them.

Attachments

• Section.jpg
    Section.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 432
CWatters said:
This is what I would expect the section to look like (I've not shown hidden lines)...

I note your comment about not being able to rub out lines they already provided. I can't explain some of them.

Hi CWatters, that makes perfect sense to me and is how I would have expected it to look. Not sure why they started us off wrong to begin with. Not a very useful sectional drawing to begin with unfortunately, doesn't give you any information that you couldn't already see.

1. What is a sectional drawing?

A sectional drawing is a type of technical drawing that shows the internal structure of an object or structure by cutting it along a specific plane and exposing the hidden details inside.

2. Why are sectional drawings important?

Sectional drawings are important because they provide a clear and detailed understanding of the internal components and construction of an object, which may not be visible in a regular drawing. They also help in identifying potential issues or problems with the design.

3. How do you draw a sectional drawing?

To draw a sectional drawing, you need to first identify the plane of the section and then cut the object along that plane. You can then draw the visible details of the object on the section plane as if it is being viewed from the cut end. Finally, you can add dimensions and labels to the drawing to make it more informative.

4. What is the difference between a full section and a half section?

In a full section, the object is cut along the entire length or width, while in a half section, only half of the object is cut. This means that in a half section, one half of the object is shown in a regular drawing view, while the other half is shown in a sectional view.

5. Can you explain the concept of Z to Z in sectional drawings?

Z to Z refers to the direction of the cutting plane in a sectional drawing. It means that the cutting plane passes through the object's Z-axis, which is the vertical axis. This type of sectional drawing is useful for objects with a symmetrical design, as it allows for a clear view of the internal components on both sides of the axis.