1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sectional Drawings -- Help Please

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

Don't understand the attached file at all. It makes no sense.

It's sectional views. And I'm supposed to draw the sectional view from Z to Z in the bottom view drawing. Which all hidden lines from the top view are already drawn. What is expected of me from this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given a top view and the front view. IDK where you are getting 'bottom view' from unless it's cut off in the image you posted.

You are supposed to draw the cross section of the object using the cutting plane Z-Z as shown in the top view. The shaded area in the front view represents a plate with four corners chamfered located as shown by the dashed lines in the top view.

In other words, if you were to saw clean thru the object along line Z-Z and pulled the pieces apart, what would you see, looking at the object where the saw cut was made?

Take your best shot, upload it, and we can discuss further.

4. Jun 26, 2014 #3
    Hey mate. I had a go. Do the sectional lines mean viewed from the RHS?

Attached Files:

5. Jun 26, 2014 #4
    Do you think this is right? Is there any other possible answer? Need to hand it in, in a few hours. Sorry for the urgency

6. Jun 26, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your attempt looks good for the most part. However, for the vertical plate, are the chamfers really visible where Z-Z cuts thru the piece? Think about it.

7. Jun 26, 2014 #6
    Ahh no, you are right. Would the solid lines simply need to be changed to dotted lines to represent the chamfers being behind the vertical plate?

8. Jun 26, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't do that, because the chamfers are located some distance from the Z-Z cutting plane. I think they should be removed entirely. In other words, the section view should show only what would be visible if the part were cut at the cutting plane. Showing anything else would just cause confusion.

9. Jun 26, 2014 #8
    Hey mate, that makes total sense. I'll rub out the lines and keep it easy. Thanks so much. Sorry to bust your balls, but have another one below that I'm unsure of. It looks easy but not sure how to show it, looks like a hole in the middle of it, which would be shown as two solid lines I think. I just think it's hard when its cut down the middle of the upright plate, it'd look the same in my opinion.

Attached Files:

10. Jun 26, 2014 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It won't look exactly the same. Think about the circle representing the outer of the cylinder. It meets the web so there won't be a line at that point. 90 degrees of the circle will be "missing".

Edit: Actually a bit more than 90 degrees.

11. Jun 26, 2014 #10
    From the top view that's all its showing though, it keeps going from the upright peice into the circle at 90 degrees (most likely) and meets the peice under the cylinder. That's what I understand from the dotted lines. I don't understand how else it can be drawn?

Edit: keep in mind the outter cylinder is already printed on the paper along with the bottom plate as a guideline. So I can't really rub it out lol, which is why I have a hard time getting it

12. Jun 27, 2014 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is what I would expect the section to look like (I've not shown hidden lines)...

I note your comment about not being able to rub out lines they already provided. I can't explain some of them.

Attached Files:

13. Jul 1, 2014 #12
    Hi CWatters, that makes perfect sense to me and is how I would have expected it to look. Not sure why they started us off wrong to begin with. Not a very useful sectional drawing to begin with unfortunately, doesn't give you any information that you couldn't already see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted