Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secuence and series

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    is this a sequence or a series?

it could be both
    and so on

and so on
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Answer: Both. Every series is a sequence (trivial) and every sequence is a series. For example:
    As a sequence a, b, c, ...
    As a series a, a + (b - a), a + (b - a) + (c - b), ...

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    hey, first of all you have to proof that 1,9,25,49,81,121 is a sequence with a pattern of some sort, or is it to obvious?

well at least then comment on my answer.
  5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    You didn't ask if it was a sequence with a pattern, you just asked if it was a sequence. It is. And it has a pattern. In fact all sequences have a pattern. For instance:
    Sequence: [itex]a_1, a_2, a_3, ... [/itex]
    Pattern: Let f be any function such that [itex]f(1) = a_1, f(2) = a_2, f(3) = a_3, ...[/itex]. Then the sequence is equal to f(1), f(2), f(3), ... This is in fact what you did. The function you chose was [itex]f(x) = (2x -1)^2[/itex]. There are other distinct functions which also have the same values at the integers. In fact I don't really know if you chose f as I described, or one of these others.

I did. Your answer was 'it could be both' and I said that it is both.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?