1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secuence and series

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    is this a sequence or a series?

it could be both
    9=1+8x1
    25=9+8x2
    49=25+8x3
    and so on

1=1^2
    9=3^2
    25=5^2
    49=7^2
    and so on

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Answer: Both. Every series is a sequence (trivial) and every sequence is a series. For example:
    As a sequence a, b, c, ...
    As a series a, a + (b - a), a + (b - a) + (c - b), ...

eom

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    hey, first of all you have to proof that 1,9,25,49,81,121 is a sequence with a pattern of some sort, or is it to obvious?

well at least then comment on my answer.

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    You didn't ask if it was a sequence with a pattern, you just asked if it was a sequence. It is. And it has a pattern. In fact all sequences have a pattern. For instance:
    Sequence: [itex]a_1, a_2, a_3, ... [/itex]
    Pattern: Let f be any function such that [itex]f(1) = a_1, f(2) = a_2, f(3) = a_3, ...[/itex]. Then the sequence is equal to f(1), f(2), f(3), ... This is in fact what you did. The function you chose was [itex]f(x) = (2x -1)^2[/itex]. There are other distinct functions which also have the same values at the integers. In fact I don't really know if you chose f as I described, or one of these others.

I did. Your answer was 'it could be both' and I said that it is both.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?