How Do Screws Affect Motor Lamination Integrity?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, The conversation is about designing a special out-runner switched-reluctance type motor with holes drilled through the laminations to secure the stack to the housing. The concern is whether screws or bolts making electrical contact with the laminations will cause significant issues, as they could act as a shorted turn on the rotor and affect the performance of the motor. The laminations are coated with insulating material and will be laser cut to shape. Suggestions and comments are appreciated.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am currently working on a project where a special out-runner switched-reluctance type motor is being designed. The rotor for the motor (see attached PDF) has holes drilled through the laminations to secure the stack (which is 1" thick in this case) to the back side of the housing, which is designed to fit in a wheel hub configuration.

I am wondering if when putting screws/shoulder bolts through the laminations, if there will be any significant issues if the screws (which would be metal) make electrical contact with and short the laminations where the holes are? The holes do somewhat interfere with the flux path of the magnetic fields, but I am not sure how concerned I should be about this. What is the standard practice when dealing with a situation where screws or bolts are needed to fasten the motor laminations together? I believe I have seen similar situations with transformers that used bolts or something to hold the corners together but how does it work in this case?

As for the laminations themselves, they are coated with a layer of insulating material (whatever the standard is for M-19 silicon steel is), and will be laser cut to make the shape shown in the attached file. Any comments or suggestions appreciated as I am wondering if this would be a potential problem or an insignificant detail to be concerned with.

Thank you,
Jason O

Attachments

• Rotor.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 197
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jdo300 said:
...if there will be any significant issues if the screws (which would be metal) make electrical contact with and short the laminations where the holes are?
Yup, sure will. If the bolts make electrical contact they will act as a shorted turn on the rotor. Much current, much heat, little torque.

What are motor laminations and why are they important?

Motor laminations are thin layers of steel that are stacked together to form the core of an electric motor. They are important because they help to reduce energy loss and increase the efficiency of the motor.

What are the main methods used to secure motor laminations?

The main methods used to secure motor laminations are welding, riveting, and bonding. Welding involves fusing the laminations together using heat, while riveting involves using metal pins to hold the laminations together. Bonding involves using adhesives to secure the laminations.

How do you determine the best method for securing motor laminations?

The best method for securing motor laminations depends on factors such as the type of motor, the desired level of efficiency, and the production process. Consulting with a motor engineer is recommended to determine the best method for a specific motor.

What are the potential issues that can arise from improper lamination securing?

Improper lamination securing can result in increased energy loss, decreased efficiency, and motor failure. It can also lead to increased noise and vibration in the motor.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when securing motor laminations?

Yes, when securing motor laminations, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and eye protection. It is also important to follow proper safety procedures when using heat or adhesives. Always consult with a professional if you are unsure about the proper safety precautions.