Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sedal, DNA Shampoo

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    Sedal is one of the most important shampoo companies in argentina, they recently launched a New Product: Sedal Vegetal DNA. This is what they say it does:

http://www.pelo.terra.com.ar/canales/pelo/cabellos_sedal_vegeta/sedalveg_text.htm
    DNA
    Considering that the hair is constituted by DNA and that this is fundamental for the cell activities of the hair, one of the main factors of weakening of the long and limp hair is the natural loss of DNA. In other words, components such as proteins are essential for the functions of the cells, and the proteins only can be produced by the DNA. Therefore, the DNA is the source of cell every activity and this evidently includes the hair. It distributed in the cuticles of the hair, since the root to the tips, the level of DNA in your hair diminishes when you wash it - inclusive when you stain it.

I do not want to cut my hair neither to lose DNA!
    The vegetable DNA of fishing Line Vegetable DNA nourished and restores deeply the hair since the root to its tips. Because fishing Line Vegetable DNA places vegetable DNA in the cuticles of the deep gangs of the hair, repairing the natural loss.
    (Automatic Translation)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm noticing a theme with these adverts.
    "X has a certain property. Wave X at a certain part of your body and the properties of X will be magically transferred to it."

e.g.
    - Caffeine is a stimulant drug. Facial wash containing caffeine applied to face will relieve 'tired eyes' appearance.
    - Pearl is shiny. Put protein found in pearl in to shampoo and shampoo will make hair shiny like pearls.
    -Cells need DNA. Hair is made of cells. Add some more DNA to make hair better!

Typically they make this association between the property and the perceived effect on very loose logic, normally totally ignoring how the property of the material comes to be, and therefore how it is entirely irrelevant to their product. They do this on-purpose of course: it's just a marketing ploy.

e.g.
    -Caffeine acts as a stimulant drug and affects your nervous system, making you feel more awake. Ergo rubbing it on your skin won't make you look any less tired.
    - Pearls are shiny because they are made of numerous thin layers of crystalline aragonite. Taking a protein from a pearl and putting it in your hair will not make your hair in any way 'pearl-like'.
    - DNA contains information living cells need to work and reproduce. Hair consists of dead cells that have no metabolism and will not reproduce ever. The amount of DNA a dead cell retains is inconsequential. Adding vegetable DNA to dead cells will do nothing.

I'm glad their product claim is a load of rubbish. I don't want vegetables inputting their DNA in to my cells and reproducing. It sounds like a virus, although instead of more viruses, you'd get potato-hair.

4. Apr 30, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Hair is DEAD cells (other than the part at the root that is still growing), there's nothing there to do anything with the DNA, even if you stuck in human DNA. Even if there WAS something left in the cells to use the DNA, and it could somehow get into the cells (rubbing DNA on cells doesn't get it into them), what good would PLANT DNA do? Do you want leafy green hair? :confused: That's one of the more bizarre claims I've heard in a while.

That ANYONE would believe such product claims really scares me about the state of science education in our schools. Learning that hair is dead cells is something that should be covered at the middle school level.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was always a real turn-on for me! :rofl:

6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    What if we made stem-cell shampoo+conditioner? (dibs on copyright 2008) :)

7. Apr 30, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Potato-hair. :bugeye:

8. Apr 30, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Now that makes sense. You could refer to the hair root as the "stem" and hair has "cells". <Evo knocks K.J.Healey down, jumps over his limp body and runs to patent office with her drawings>. Muwahahaha!!!

9. Apr 30, 2008 #8
    If I am honest I think this is just a case of Bull**** Baffles Brains. I have seen in other adverts here in the UK mentioning pentapeptides, now what percentage of the people know what that even is?

10. Apr 30, 2008 #9
    Here there is a tv ad, promoting a shampoo with "Amino Silicones".
    The ad goes like this:

A Girl says: My hair is shiny, strong, healthy, They say it's because of the aminosilicones which i don't know what they are, but for me they are like Popeye's spinaches!
    You walk in the beach and. ( click click click ). you know what i mean!!
    ( )

Absolutely pathetic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. May 2, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just use silicone adhesive? It leaves your hair shiny yet flexible. :biggrin:
    (I'm still trying to figure out what an amino silicone is.)

12. May 2, 2008 #11
    This reminds me of the idiots who don't want to eat meat from cloned animals because it had genes in it!

13. May 3, 2008 #12
    If you don't know, I doubt many of the general public in Argentina do either.

Genes can kill.

14. May 8, 2008 #13
    Don't worry, you just need to know they are like Popeye's spinaches!!!!:rofl:

15. May 29, 2008 #14
    Has anyone actually tried it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?