How Do You Calculate the Sedimentation Coefficient of Escherichia coli?

• Thread starter quietviolence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, the conversation discusses data for Escherichia coli, including its molecular weight, specific volume, and temperature. The results of an experiment conducted in a dilute aqueous buffer at a certain temperature and speed of rotation are also mentioned. The conversation then moves on to discussing an equation and the attempt at solving it, but the person gets stuck with finding the values for rho f and V o. They request help understanding how to find these values.
quietviolence

Homework Statement

Escherichia coli data:
molecular weight = 74000g/mol
specific volume = 0.737cm3/g
temperature = 293 K

In a dilute aqueous buffer (0.02M potassium phosphate) at 293.75 K
speed of rotation = 56050 rpm

gave the following results:

Time (min)...x1/2
120.... 6.5

Homework Equations

This is the equation given to us:

M=(RTs)/(D(1-([tex]\rho[/tex] f *V o))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an R value of 8.31m2kgmol-1s-2K-1

I rearranged the equation to equal s

However, I got stuck at [tex]\rho[/tex]f*Vo. Using the [tex]\rho[/tex] and V given in the question results in a division by 0.

Could someone explain to me how I find [tex]\rho[/tex] f and V o? I don't need anyone to solve the question, I would like to do that on my own.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for the terrible equations.
The rho is supposed to be rho with a subscript f, and V is V subscript o

I just need help understanding what \rho f and V o represent and how to find them in this specific context.

The sedimentation coefficient (s) is a measure of how fast a particle or molecule settles in a centrifuge, and is influenced by the size and shape of the particle, as well as the density and viscosity of the surrounding medium. In this context, \rho f represents the density of the buffer solution and V o represents the partial specific volume of the molecule (in this case, E. coli).

To find \rho f, you can look up the density of 0.02M potassium phosphate buffer at 293.75 K. To find V o, you can use the specific volume given in the question and the molecular weight of E. coli to calculate the partial specific volume using the formula V o = V/m, where V is the specific volume and m is the molecular weight.

Once you have both \rho f and V o, you can plug them into the equation and solve for s. Keep in mind that s is a measure of sedimentation rate, so it will have units of seconds or minutes.

1. What is a sedimentation coefficient?

The sedimentation coefficient is a measure of how fast a particle or molecule moves through a liquid under the influence of gravity. It is often used to characterize the size and shape of macromolecules or particles in a solution.

2. How is the sedimentation coefficient determined?

The sedimentation coefficient is typically determined using a technique called analytical ultracentrifugation. This involves spinning a sample at high speeds and measuring the rate at which the particles or molecules sediment to the bottom of the solution.

3. What factors can affect the sedimentation coefficient?

The sedimentation coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the particle or molecule, the density and viscosity of the solution, and the temperature and pH of the solution. Additionally, the presence of other molecules in the solution, such as proteins or salts, can also impact the sedimentation coefficient.

4. What units are used to express the sedimentation coefficient?

The sedimentation coefficient is typically expressed in Svedberg units (S). One Svedberg unit is equal to 10^-13 seconds, and it is a measure of the rate at which a particle or molecule sediments through a solution under the influence of gravity.

5. How is the sedimentation coefficient used in research?

The sedimentation coefficient is a valuable tool in various fields of research, including biochemistry, biophysics, and molecular biology. It can be used to study the size and shape of macromolecules, as well as their interactions with other molecules or particles in a solution. It can also provide information about the purity and stability of a sample, and can aid in the determination of molecular weight and conformational changes.