1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

See Saw and Pivot Location

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1

1. Harry, who weighs 360 N, and 170 N Gretchen are about to play on a 8.00 m long seesaw. He sits at one end and she at the other. Where should the pivot be located if they are to be balanced?

2. F1R1 = F2 R2; F1=360N F2 = 170 N. The problem gives the total length, and I know I need to find out the distance of Gretchen first, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have also used the formula (M1*g)R1 = (M2*g)R2, but again I'm not sure how to figure out the distance of Gretchen.

3. I tried to use this formula to figure out Gretchen's distance. To = r (mass).

530 = 170 (8) = 3.12, but that answer is incorrect. Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

I forgot to include:

They are looking for the distance in meters from Harry.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Let L be the length from Harry. Then if it balances doesn't

360N * L = 170N * (8 - L) ?
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

In order to figure out the distance of Harry, don't we need to figure out the distance of Gretchen? I'm not sure what valut to put in for L where you have 8-L.
  6. Nov 6, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Uno: You have two unknowns R1, R2, so you require two equations for a solution:
    Balance the torque moments:
    F1*R1 = F2*R2,

Then solve for R1 or R2:
    R1=(F2/(F1+F2)) * 8, the pivot is 2.57M from the larger force. Note the three significant figures in the answer. You were given 3 sig figs in the problem, be sure to include 3 in your answer or a tough TA/Prof might ding you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?