Seebeck Effect a bit of a puzzler

• Thread starter Arkasha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the Seebeck Effect is a phenomenon in which a temperature difference between two dissimilar conductors results in the generation of an electric current. This discovery by Thomas Johann Seebeck in the 19th century was initially a mystery, but it has since been explained by the principles of thermoelectricity and has many practical applications, such as in thermocouples for temperature measurement and in thermoelectric generators for converting heat into electricity.
Arkasha
Hello all,
I was recently talking about the Seebeck effect with one of my colleagues, and we've run into a bit of a puzzle.
Why are *dissimilar* metals required to produce it? All of the various sources I've consulted state very clearly there must be two different metals (or I suppose you could cheat a bit and use a semiconductor, like Pasco does in its little toys), but none of the sources explained why!
I would have thought that the electron diffusion from the hot to the cold side of each part would create the greatest potential difference if the same metal was used for each "leg."
Clearly there must be something wrong with my thinking . . .
Enlightenment received with gratitude!
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The Seebeck effect can be produced in a single material. Dissimilar metals are not required to create a voltage potential amongst a single piece.

Take a look at the following link. The answer you need is the first paragraph of section 3 (thermocouples).

http://kasap3.usask.ca/samples/Thermoelectric-Seebeck.pdf

Arkasha said:
Hello all,
I was recently talking about the Seebeck effect with one of my colleagues, and we've run into a bit of a puzzle.
Why are *dissimilar* metals required to produce it? All of the various sources I've consulted state very clearly there must be two different metals (or I suppose you could cheat a bit and use a semiconductor, like Pasco does in its little toys), but none of the sources explained why!
I would have thought that the electron diffusion from the hot to the cold side of each part would create the greatest potential difference if the same metal was used for each "leg."
Clearly there must be something wrong with my thinking . . .
Enlightenment received with gratitude!
:smile:

Obviously it is because only different metals, because of their different atomic numbers, have different electron density, producing electron diffusion at the juntiions.
This results in what is called contact potential difference. For two gases to diffuse from one to the other. they must have different pressure. The picture is similar to an electrochemical cell where current is produced only two dissimilar metals are used.

1. What is the Seebeck Effect?

The Seebeck Effect is a phenomenon in which a temperature gradient between two different materials causes an electrical current to flow.

2. How does the Seebeck Effect work?

The Seebeck Effect occurs due to the difference in electron energy levels between two materials. When there is a temperature difference between the materials, the electrons in the warmer material have higher energy and migrate to the cooler material, creating an electrical current.

3. What are the applications of the Seebeck Effect?

The Seebeck Effect has a wide range of applications, including thermocouples for temperature measurement, power generation in thermoelectric generators, and cooling in thermoelectric refrigerators.

4. What are the challenges of using the Seebeck Effect for power generation?

One of the main challenges of using the Seebeck Effect for power generation is the low efficiency of thermoelectric materials. This means that only a small amount of heat can be converted into electricity, making it less practical for large-scale power generation.

5. Can the Seebeck Effect be used to generate electricity from body heat?

Yes, the Seebeck Effect can be used to generate electricity from body heat. This has potential applications in wearable technology, such as self-powered health monitoring devices.