Solve Seebeck Voltage Conversion to Temperature Issues in Colorado

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for looking into this. I will give it a try.In summary, the equation given to convert boiling water at 3600 microvolts to celsius gives me something like 90 degrees Celsius.
physicsCU
I have an issue with converting these to temperatures. I have the equation, voltage is in microvolts, but when I convert, say boiling water at 3600 microvolts to celsius, it gives me something like 90 C. It ought to be close to 95 C, I am in Colorado.

I did it today in excel, and the MATLAB equation I wrote for it last week gave me the same answer. According to the lab handouts, the error should only be +/- 0.05 C.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see what you are doing. Are you actually using a thermocouple? What metals are you using? You could possibly be using the wrong coefficients...

Yes, we are using thermocouples made of Ni-Ch and Ni-Al

Type K thermocouples (given by profs)

Here is the equation

T = 0.0 + 2.508355e-2*v + 7.860106e–8*v^2 + –2.503131e–10*v^3 + 8.315270e–14*v^4 + –1.228034e–17*v^5 + 9.804036e–22*v^6 + –4.413030e–26*v^7 + 1.057734e–30*v^8 + –1.052755e–35*v^9

Again v is in microvolts, and T is in celsius.

Because I am just a few degrees off, I am wondering if the polynomial is right, ie do we have the right thermocouple type.

anyone else?

I have checked this in matlab, and with other people, getting the same answer.

but the LabVIEW VI software in the lab gives us the right answer

Looking at my ASTM tc reference, the K type polynomial is different than what you have. Give me a bit and I'll post it.

OK, thanks.

I pulled mine from National Instruments documentation on thermocouples, but I will be interested to see yours.

Without running some numbers I can't say if this will fix your offset, but I did forget that there are two exponential corrections for the first two terms. Take a look at the attached page.

Also note the reference temperature of 0°

Ref. ASTM Manual on the use of thermocouples in temperature measurement, 4th edition.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, but the problem with that is that converts from temp to volts, i need to go the other way.

All right. Let me see what else I can dig up.

OK. Try this one. Hopefully this one will help. This is from NIST. It is a typical K type TC table, however at the very end there is a section for the inverse function of temp and emf. Give that a look see and maybe that will hlp you out.

Last edited:

What is Seebeck voltage conversion?

Seebeck voltage conversion is a phenomenon where a temperature difference between two different materials creates a voltage difference. This is known as the Seebeck effect, and it is the basis for thermocouples, which are commonly used to measure temperature.

Why are there temperature issues in Colorado?

Colorado is a state with varying elevations, which can lead to significant temperature differences. In addition, Colorado experiences four distinct seasons, with hot summers and cold winters, which can also create temperature issues.

How does Seebeck voltage conversion help with temperature issues in Colorado?

Seebeck voltage conversion can be used to accurately measure temperature differences in Colorado. By using a thermocouple, which takes advantage of the Seebeck effect, temperature variations can be measured and accounted for.

What are some potential challenges when using Seebeck voltage conversion in Colorado?

Some potential challenges include the need for calibration due to varying elevations and temperatures, as well as the potential for interference from external factors such as electromagnetic fields.

Are there any other applications for Seebeck voltage conversion besides temperature measurement in Colorado?

Yes, Seebeck voltage conversion has many other applications, including power generation and energy harvesting. It can also be used in thermoelectric cooling systems, which are commonly used in electronic devices.