Why We See Full Face of the Moon: Diffraction Theory?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the reason why we usually see a full moon when it is opposite to the sun is due to the diffraction of light around the spherical surface of the Earth. This theory is confirmed by the fact that without diffraction, the moon should appear dark when on the same side as the sun. This observation should have convinced many people of the wave theory of light prior to Fresnel's spot experiment. Newton remained unconvinced of the wave nature of light throughout his life, but it is unclear whether he accepted it after Fresnel's spot and how he reconciled it with his particle theory. Prior to Fresnel's spot, the full moon can be seen because of the moon's inclined orbit to the Earth's equator, which allows
pivoxa15
The reason why we see the full face of the moon (when it is opposite to the sun) is the effect of diffraction of light around the spherical surface of the earth. Correct?

There can't be another explanation since without diffraction, the moon should be dark just like when it is on the same side as the sun. So this lends naturally to the confirmation of the diffraction theory of light? Hence prior to "Fresnel's spot" experiment, this simple observation should have at least convinced a lot of people to the wave theory of light.

Newton was unconvinced about the wave nature all his life? Or did he accept it after Fresnel's spot and how did he reconcile it with his particle theory of light. In any case, how did he explain seeing a full moon prior to Fresnel's spot and diffraction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that when the Earth sees a new moon, the moon sees a "full earth" the surface of the moon is lit by light reflected from the full earth.

pivoxa15 said:
The reason why we see the full face of the moon (when it is opposite to the sun) is the effect of diffraction of light around the spherical surface of the earth. Correct?

This sounds like you're asking about the full moon, not the new moon (which is when the moon is on the same side of the Earth as the sun). We can see it because the the moon's orbit is inclined to the Earth's equator, so it usually "misses" the Earth's shadow as it passes behind the earth. Sometimes it does pass through the Earth's shadow, and that's when we have a lunar eclipse.

We can still see the moon (faintly) during a lunar eclipse because some light is refracted by the Earth's atmosphere. If the Earth didn't have an atmosphere, the moon would be almost totally dark during a total lunar eclipse. I seriously doubt that diffraction has a significant effect here.

jtbell said:
This sounds like you're asking about the full moon, not the new moon (which is when the moon is on the same side of the Earth as the sun). We can see it because the the moon's orbit is inclined to the Earth's equator, so it usually "misses" the Earth's shadow as it passes behind the earth. Sometimes it does pass through the Earth's shadow, and that's when we have a lunar eclipse.

We can still see the moon (faintly) during a lunar eclipse because some light is refracted by the Earth's atmosphere. If the Earth didn't have an atmosphere, the moon would be almost totally dark during a total lunar eclipse. I seriously doubt that diffraction has a significant effect here.

You are correct about the title, it should have the word full instead of new.

How does 'the moon's orbit is inclined to the Earth's equator, so it usually "misses" the Earth's shadow as it passes behind the earth.' work? Is there a diagram?

Integral said:
Recall that when the Earth sees a new moon, the moon sees a "full earth" the surface of the moon is lit by light reflected from the full earth.

The bit of the Earth the moon sees, is also the part where the light from the sun cannot reach. The Earth at that position, of opposite the sun is also near midnight. Back in pre electricity days, what kind of light from Earth would be shining to the moon at that position and time?

pivoxa15 said:
How does 'the moon's orbit is inclined to the Earth's equator, so it usually "misses" the Earth's shadow as it passes behind the earth.' work? Is there a diagram?
They are inclined planes. Go about 5 slides deep in this java applet and you can see how Pluto's orbit is inclined to the plane of the other planets: http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/space/solarsystem/solarsystemjava.html

The moon's orbit works the same way. And they are inclined to the ecliptic or celestial equator - not the Earth's equator.

Attached is an image showing the view from earth: the line is the ecliptic: the plane on which the sun travels during the year, from month to month. The moon in that pic is slightly below that plane due to its inclined orbit, but there are two places on that orbit when the moon crosses the ecliptic and at those times, you may get an eclipse.
The bit of the Earth the moon sees, is also the part where the light from the sun cannot reach. The Earth at that position, of opposite the sun is also near midnight. Back in pre electricity days, what kind of light from Earth would be shining to the moon at that position and time?
You are getting full and new moon mixed up again:

-When the moon is full, the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth. The moon is fully illuminated by the sun and the side of Earth facing it is completely dark.
-When the moon is new, the sun and moon are on the same side of the earth. The moon is partially illuminated by light reflected from earth, as the side of the Earth facing the moon is completely lit.

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 376
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my attempt to draw this. The Earth's and moon's orbits are circles, but viewed or inclined at different angles. An important point is that the axis of the moon's orbit always points in the same direction with respect to the surrounding space regardless of where the Earth is in its orbit.

Attachments

• moon.gif
    moon.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 476
jtbell said:
Here's my attempt to draw this. The Earth's and moon's orbits are circles, but viewed or inclined at different angles. An important point is that the axis of the moon's orbit always points in the same direction with respect to the surrounding space regardless of where the Earth is in its orbit.

Nice picture. I now understand why we tend most of the time see a full moon even though its position is lined up withe Earth when viewed from top down.

One question that arises is how close does the moon's orbit intersect the Earth's orbit? Close enough for a collision? If so than why hasn't there been a collision for ages (if at all)?

Do you know that angle of inclination of moon's orbit as shown in your diagram?

russ_watters said:
They are inclined planes. Go about 5 slides deep in this java applet and you can see how Pluto's orbit is inclined to the plane of the other planets: http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/space/solarsystem/solarsystemjava.html

The moon's orbit works the same way. And they are inclined to the ecliptic or celestial equator - not the Earth's equator.

Attached is an image showing the view from earth: the line is the ecliptic: the plane on which the sun travels during the year, from month to month. The moon in that pic is slightly below that plane due to its inclined orbit, but there are two places on that orbit when the moon crosses the ecliptic and at those times, you may get an eclipse. You are getting full and new moon mixed up again:

-When the moon is full, the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth. The moon is fully illuminated by the sun and the side of Earth facing it is completely dark.
-When the moon is new, the sun and moon are on the same side of the earth. The moon is partially illuminated by light reflected from earth, as the side of the Earth facing the moon is completely lit.

With the last statement about the new moon, does that mean the new moon always occur in the day and never at night (for people on earth)?

Last edited by a moderator:
pivoxa15 said:
With the last statement about the new moon, does that mean the new moon always occur in the day and never at night (for people on earth)?
Do you think that might have anything to do with where you might live on Earth? We do spin around, you know. I heard that it happens every day...:biggrin:

pivoxa15 said:
One question that arises is how close does the moon's orbit intersect the Earth's orbit? Close enough for a collision? If so than why hasn't there been a collision for ages (if at all)?
Sometimes I'm not sure if questioners are serious.

pivoxa15 said:
The moon is in orbit around the earth, so no, there can't be a collision.
Do you know that angle of inclination of moon's orbit as shown in your diagram?
5 degrees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon
The moon isn't necessarily in your half of the sky at the moment when it is "new", so it is better to say that the new moon occurs when the sun and moon are at their closest to each other in the sky. It is during the day somewhere.

You might get a better idea of the relative positions of the Sun and the Moon by trying to observe a New Moon. (Dark Moon is a term I prefer to use to denote the actual conjucntion )
http://skytonight.com/observing/objects/projects/3308686.html

It's a challenge to find a Moon aged within 24 hours since conjunction (my personal best is 51 minutes past the day). The location (azimuth) changes every month, and some geographical locations will be more advantageous than others. It's quite fun trying to find the sliver in a sky which is still filled with some sun light. You can also do it the other way, trying to find "oldest Moon", i.e. before conjucntion.

pivoxa15 said:
I have to agree, I wonder if these questions are serious.

When you are looking at a new moon, where is the Sun to cause you to see the shadow-side of the Moon? You'd have to be looking at the sun too. Pretty hard to do that ... at night.

DaveC426913 said:

When you are looking at a new moon, where is the Sun to cause you to see the shadow-side of the Moon? You'd have to be looking at the sun too. Pretty hard to do that ... at night.
DaveC426913 said:

The OP didn't seem to state the question well, but others have filled in most of the blanks.

But, from your quote above, explanations so far have been WHEN there is a new moon and not just when you can SEE a new moon. Wherever you may live, the odds are that there will be a 50/50 chance that new moon occurs when you can "see" it and when it is not in your particular hemisphere (night time for you).

There is an easy way to "see" a new moon. Neutrino's 51 minutes past is pretty close to closest possible, but many people here may have seen it exactly at new moon and not thought about it. I have seen that twice. When is the quizzer.

When the moon is on the "solar plane" (ecliptic?) and is exactly new, in the day, and you can see it would be: (Tah-Dah!)

AnnularSmall.jpg

CoronaSmall.jpg

concerning diffraction, for a body to undergo diffraction it must be narrow. the Earth is not narrow. And while technically there is a diffraction, it is almost unnoticable. If you have ever done a double-slit interference lab, the slots are on the order of 10^-5 m to 10^-6 m in width across, its most noticable when it is close to the size of a wavelength of light.

Labguy said:
When the moon is on the "solar plane" (ecliptic?) and is exactly new, in the day, and you can see it would be: (Tah-Dah!)

I know. I didn't raise that because that would just further complicate the issue.

Labguy said:
There is an easy way to "see" a new moon. Neutrino's 51 minutes past is pretty close to closest possible
Just to be clear, I meant 24h51m after the "new moon."

but many people here may have seen it exactly at new moon and not thought about it. I have seen that twice. When is the quizzer.
Do you mean that these people (and yourself) were looking at the location were the moon was supposed to be but never saw anything?

pivoxa15 said:

Technically, yes, depending on what you mean by "occur". If the new moon "occurs" when the moon is in the sky from your perspective, then that is during the day. The sun and moon are in the sky at the same time. You don't see the moon then, of course, because it doesn't reflect any light. You can see its shadow if it passes directly in front of the sun - making an eclipse (all solar eclipses occur during a new moon).

So if you look at the sky at night during a new moon, the moon isn't absent because it's invisible. It just plain isn't there - it's on the other side, along with the sun.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
Just to be clear, I meant 24h51m after the "new moon."
Good, I thought that was verly early, maybe a record.
neutrino said:
Do you mean that these people (and yourself) were looking at the location were the moon was supposed to be but never saw anything?
No, we were looking directly at a new moon exactly at the hour and minute it was new. This can be done only during a solar eclipse (annular or total) as in my photos posted above. This is when the moon directly covers all of the sun (corona photo) or covers just most of it leaving the ring of sun around the moon (annular photo). The black circle in both photos is the moon.

Most photos of this type are exposed to show the sun's detail(s) or the annulus, but a much longer exposure can be made where the solar corona or ring would be greatly overexposed and the moon would be more visable due to being lit by reflected Earthlight. Same as when you can see the some of the "dark" part of the moon when it is a very thin crescent.

By "detail(s) of the sun, I mean chromosphere,etc. as in this photo:
Chromo1.jpg

Labguy said:
Good, I thought that was verly early, maybe a record.
Actually, it was, in a friendly message board competition, for few months. :wink:

No, we were looking directly at a new moon exactly at the hour and minute it was new. This can be done only during a solar eclipse
Ahh, okay.

1. What is diffraction and how does it relate to the full face of the moon?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. In the case of the full face of the moon, diffraction is responsible for the appearance of the moon's edges appearing smooth and rounded rather than sharp and jagged.

2. Is diffraction the only factor in why we see the full face of the moon?

No, there are other factors at play such as the moon's distance from the Earth, its orbit, and the angle at which it is viewed. However, diffraction is a significant contributor to the appearance of the full face of the moon.

3. What role does the Earth's atmosphere play in diffraction and the full face of the moon?

The Earth's atmosphere can enhance diffraction by acting as a medium through which light can travel. This can result in a more pronounced diffraction effect and contribute to the appearance of the full face of the moon. However, the atmosphere can also cause distortions and blurring of the moon's image, making it appear less sharp.

4. How does the size of the moon affect diffraction and the full face appearance?

The size of the moon does not directly affect diffraction, but it does play a role in how much of the moon's surface is visible to us on Earth. The larger the moon appears in the sky, the more of its surface we can see, giving the illusion of a full face. This is why the full face of the moon appears larger when it is closer to the horizon compared to when it is higher in the sky.

5. Are there any other celestial objects that exhibit a similar full face appearance due to diffraction?

Yes, other celestial objects such as the sun, stars, and planets can also exhibit a full face appearance due to diffraction. However, the size and distance of these objects may affect the degree of diffraction and the resulting appearance. Additionally, the structure and composition of these objects can also impact their appearance due to diffraction.