1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeing magnetic fields

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    hello I was hoping someone could tell me a way to show my children a way to see a magnetic field?they are playing with magnets and don't underststand the way i explained how they work . if i could show them they might start to understand ...... thanx in advance for your reply
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can use iron filings and show how they align to the magnetic field. This can help them visualize the field and make it easier to explain how it works when you explain it.
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be best to put the filings on a glass plate or sheet of paper with the magnet underneath. This way you can easily remove the magnet and put the filings back in a container.

Or you can purchase this 2D Magnetic Field Demonstrator.

5. Dec 23, 2007 #4
    what about this plastic that allows you to view a mf ??what is that all about and where can I get some???
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?