Seeking advice for my plans of a career in physics

In summary, the 23-year-old man is seeking advice from others on whether or not his theory on black hole creation is exceptional. He has a basic understanding of physics, including the laws of gravity, and has come up with a theory that follows those laws. However, he is worried that others may not believe his theory if they don't know about it.
ZapperZ said:
... and gee, I must be a "low-lifer" for stating the "obvious".

Poor you :cry:

The Italians would say AHIME
The French would say HELAS
The Flemish would say HELAAS

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
marlon said:
But in all honesty, why would anybody care, right ?

As I recall, YOU were the one who's making a BIG deal out of it, and now you're turning it around asking who cares?

I replied to Bladibla as a joke. You deemed it fit to use it as a jumping point for insults. I lay no official claim over the damn phrase even though I know I made it up on the fly when a quack cited that Einstein phrase in our IRC channel.

Mark,

Don't get your back up against the wall and defensive when the other forum members criticize your "theory". They are doing you a favour, in fact.

There is so much [more] required to a good theory than a solid layman idea. Lots of ideas "work" in the context of other theories and discoveries, yet cannot be proven. Even if it is mathematically correct and "fits" into the big picture, there is still a large possibility that it may not reflect the nature of things in reality. To get to that point you STILL need a lot of rigourous study and reserach into the particular area to find if its feasible. There are so many unknowns and variables that someone who isn't skilled in sciences will overlook. On the surface all appears well but their "theory" is fundamentally flawed in a multitiude of ways that don't even acknowledge some of the most basic laws of real science. First learn the science and math, then investigate the theory... to do one before the other is, quite honestly, absurd and a crapshoot in the dark. There is a VERY minor likelihood it could be true, but it would be random. Besides, who wants to "randomly find" a theory? I mean, that'd be embarassing anyhow :D Thats not being a scientist!

(If I had a dime for everytime someone read Stephen Hawking's coffee table books to tell me they discovered how the universe works... I'd be friggin RICH!)

Do yourself a favour and set aside your theory. Don't get yourself worked up on what you may potentially discover. Now, do you want a career in physics? Think long and hard.

I realized that I would enjoy studies at the university level, but I will never use them practically. I would be kidding myself to think I could be a theoretical physicist. I don't want to spend my life cleaning up labs, either. There are few jobs dealing directly with undergraduate degree in physics. So I decided that I would rather be a programmer (something for which I have just completed my third year of study at college).

That presents a problem for me--in that I will need much enthusiasm and interest to still do it in my off time. But it can be done. I still plan to pursue a degree in physics, but perhaps it will be done part-time and at night school now. And it is for personal interest...to accept things how they are and learn about them. I think that even learning enough mathematics (after 4 years of studies) and the foundations in physics--that it would be wonderful to even understand a very slight piece of the "larger picture" :)

Take my approach: don't make any expectations and anything that may come your way will be a bonus :rofl:

Anyhow have fun in whatever you do! :biggrin:

Edit: forgive grammatical, sentence and spelling errors. I am severely hung over today :yuck:

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
As I recall, YOU were the one who's making a BIG deal out of it, and now you're turning it around asking who cares?
Don't be so insulted. I just gave my opinion and i responded to what Bladibla has asked me.

I replied to Bladibla as a joke. You deemed it fit to use it as a jumping point for insults.

Saying that something sucks and explaining why does not qualify as an insult.

I lay no official claim over the damn phrase even though I know I made it up
:rofl: I think that says it all :rofl:

marlon

come on people, don't argue over a quote.

singleton said:
Mark,

I realized that I would enjoy studies at the university level, but I will never use them practically. I would be kidding myself to think I could be a theoretical physicist.

Take my approach: don't make any expectations and anything that may come your way will be a bonus :rofl:

Anyhow have fun in whatever you do! :biggrin:

Edit: forgive grammatical, sentence and spelling errors. I am severely hung over today :yuck:

I really agree on these points here, singleton. I don't think I would be at uni right now if I didn't love the intense learning simply for the sake of it.
I think I originally intended to say to Mark stay open to new possibilities as you go, because the best outcome is not always the expected outcome.

So anyhow, just a little more encouragement to Mark to take the road to happiness, where ever that starts for you. :wink:

Mark I have found that the less I know, the more "theories" (although usually just momentary thoughts) I seem to produce, but the more I know the less "theories" I think up; I still have hundreds of new thoughts about particular physics subjects "floating" around in my mind every day.

I will be at University next year studying Theoretical Physics, and I am currently 20. But you really must realize that advancing in Physics is not all pretty pictures and entertaining writing, mathematics is the foundation of almost every theory.

Although your thought about black holes has no mathematical or advanced knowledgeable background, don't be put off by some of the harsh remarks made by other members; a Nobel Prize = Nobel Laureate, Laureate meaning "a person who is honoured with outstanding creative or intellectual achievement"

Peter.E said:
Mark I have found that the less I know, the more "theories" (although usually just momentary thoughts) I seem to produce, but the more I know the less "theories" I think up; I still have hundreds of new thoughts about particular physics subjects "floating" around in my mind every day.

I will be at University next year studying Theoretical Physics, and I am currently 20. But you really must realize that advancing in Physics is not all pretty pictures and entertaining writing, mathematics is the foundation of almost every theory.

Although your thought about black holes has no mathematical or advanced knowledgeable background, don't be put off by some of the harsh remarks made by other members; a Nobel Prize = Nobel Laureate, Laureate meaning "a person who is honoured with outstanding creative or intellectual achievement"

I really want to point out what ZapperZ said in his previous posts in the past:
There is no point going into physics if you are going into fame i.e. trying to get the nobel prize.

If you want to do physics, you have to do it for the LOVE of it, rather than for any kind of honour.

Oh I only mentioned the Nobel Laureate because is it an award for creativity, I am in no way searching for fame myself. Nobel Prizes are awarded for originality in advanced thinking, I was merely getting at the point that there is nothing wrong with coming up with original ideas, keeps the mind active.

But Physics generally isn't the profession if you want fame :)