Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking Advice on Optics Experiments

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    Hi!

I've been wanting to do a number of home lab experiments on optics and sound, using things like prisms, lenses, sunlight, mirrors, lasers, tonoscopes, and so forth, and more recently with glass or crystal rods.

I was hoping for advice on where to find a reasonably priced supplier for items of this nature, particularly glass or crystal rods, and was also wondering which is better - a glass rod or a quartz rod for conducting and bending light, or would the two have radically different optical properties? This is really silly, but I was using a transparent plastic rod to prop open a text book while taking notes and noticed it acted as a very clear magnifying glass, but unlike a regular hand held magnifying glass, the rod magnified a strip instead of a point, a strip, such as a sentence. I never thought of light being focused along one dimension.

this is the first dealer I found but I'm not even sure what to ask for.
    http://www.ecplaza.net/trademall/37427/quartz_rod.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted