1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking help for vector problem

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    If B is added to C= 3.0i + 4.0j, the result is a vector in the positive direction of the y-axis, with a magnitude equal to that of C. What is the magnitude of B?....... Solution, i got Rx= Ax+Bx+Cx , = (3.0i) and, Ry= Ay+By+Cy, = (4.0j)

So, the square root of (3.0)2 + (4.0)2 = ....... (5).....for the magnitude of B..... iam i headed in the right direction or am i completely off......... :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given that the direction of the resultant is in the positive y-direction.
    So R has the form: [itex]\vec R=A\vec j[/itex]. For some A.

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay: B+ C= R where C= 3 i+ 4 j (which has magnitude 5). You are told that the resultant vector, R, "is a vector in the positive direction of the y-axis, with a magnitude equal to that of C". You then write that "Rx= Ax+Bx+Cx , = (3.0i) and, Ry= Ay+By+Cy, = (4.0j)" which I don't understand at all. Presumably Bx and Cx are x components of B and C, but what is A?

The vector in the positive direction of the y-axis with magnitude 5 (that of C) is
    5j. Your equation is B+ 3i+ 4j= 5j. All you have to do to find B is subtract 3i+ 4j from both sides of the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?