Seeking help on vector calculus

In summary, the conversation is about a newcomer seeking expert advice on solving an equation. The advice given is to do the cross product first, then divide by the scalar magnitude, then apply the curl function. Another potential solution is using Lagrange's formula. The solution to the equation is also attached.
boarie
Dear all

I'm a newbie here...having some prob and hope to have your expert advice on how to solve the equation attached.

Thx in advance!

Attachments

• equ6-27-2006-3.47.09 PM.jpg
    equ6-27-2006-3.47.09 PM.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want a general solution, or have you been given, eg., m=(m1,m2,m3), r=(r1,r2,r3), or have you specific values for the vectors m and r?

Either way, do the cross product first, then divide by the scalar magnitude, then apply the curl function.

hi J77

Thx for your reponse.. appreciate your advice...

In fact, the solution to the above is given as attached... I can't seem to derive to the stated form... :cry:

Would really appreciate if any guru can shed some light... :redface:

Attachments

• equation6-27-2006-10.16.32 PM.jpg
    equation6-27-2006-10.16.32 PM.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 423
Quick reply, but to me the transformation seems to lie in using Lagrange's formula:

[tex]a\times(b\times c)=b(a\cdot c)-c(a\cdot b)[/tex]

ie. "BAC minus CAB"

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the use of mathematical operations such as differentiation and integration to analyze and manipulate vector quantities in both two and three-dimensional space.

2. Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to describe and analyze physical phenomena that involve vector quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. It also plays a crucial role in the development of mathematical models and simulations.

3. What are the basic concepts in vector calculus?

The basic concepts in vector calculus include vectors, vector operations, vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are used to describe and analyze vector quantities and their behavior in different types of spaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has numerous real-world applications, including analyzing the motion of objects in physics, predicting the weather in meteorology, designing electrical circuits in engineering, and creating computer graphics in computer science. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and psychology to model and analyze complex systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and geometry. You can also benefit from practicing problems and working on real-world applications to solidify your understanding. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of vector calculus.