Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking help

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    seeking help..plz

why do low frequency contributes a low pitch?how?& why only longitudinal in fluids?can any1 please explain to me,tq plz..:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Re: seeking help..plz

The first one, I'm not clear what you are asking: pitch and frequency are just two different words that mean the same thing.

For the second part, you don't get transverse waves because the only way air molecules interact that can produce waves is via pressure. They are not connected to each other, so if one slides past another, there is no force to bring it back to where it started.
  4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

A low frequency sound wave has a low "pitch", that is is sounds "low frequency" because our eardrum vibrates more slowly and we interpret that "speed"....Is that what you were asking??
  5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

yes,thanks a lot...can i ask a que...the doppler effect actually has 8 cases which involves relative motion between a source and observer..so generally they only have 3 formulas only m i right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?