1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking information on physics areas concerning signal processing or programming~

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    Hi, everyone~
    I majored in EE in college, to be more precise, signal processing and communication network. And I just graduated a week ago.

But I've always wanted to be a researcher in physics, especially in cosmology or astronomy. Since almost every physics grad-school in US require their applicants to have a physics bachelor's degree, or at least to have taken several physics courses. Generally speaking, my degree is in IT, so I think it's safe to say that I have no shot applying to a physics PHD program with this degree.

However, I'm given to understand recently that some physics programs doesn't require their applicants to have a very strong physics background, because they are focused on signal processing or image processing etc. For instance, a very nice person(I don't know it's a he or she...) in this forum told me that the Arizona State University has some such programs in astronomy and astrophysics. My issue is that I have no channel of getting such information. So, I would be very grateful if someone can direct me to a website or give me some advice.

P.S. I understand that I have to take the GRE sub anyway, which I'm confident of scoring high because I've been teaching myself physics all along college.
    P.P.S. I'm from China. So, if I didn't make myself clear enough at some places. Feel free to point it out~

Thank you~

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook