Looking for a QFT Exercise Buddy: A Grad Student's Quest for Mastery

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student who wants to improve their understanding of QFT and become a better field theorist. They are looking for someone in a similar situation to work through problem books and discuss questions and methods. Another person mentions having gone through the material before and offers to exchange emails and use worked out exercises as a last resort.
lonelyphysicist
I'm a grad student. I've done 2 semester of QFT using Peskin but I've didn't too well due to many reasons. I now want to go back and catch up on things I should have learned better, and then learn even more - I want to be a good field theorist.

I'd like to see if there's anyone in a similar situation. I'd like to find some problem books (or books with problems and, hopefully, solutions) and work thru a couple of problems each week. We could fix a schedule and discuss our problems and ask each other questions, and compare our methods and answers. I'd like to find someone who's dedicated and serious about learning QFT well, and willing to invest time in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
lonelyphysicist said:
I'm a grad student. I've done 2 semester of QFT using Peskin but I've didn't too well due to many reasons. I now want to go back and catch up on things I should have learned better, and then learn even more - I want to be a good field theorist.

I don't know if I have much time, but I'd be a taker if you want to. Some time ago I went through it, have a look at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.vanesch/qftcoursePS/qftcoursemain.html
where I posted some solutions to some exercises in Peskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
excersise buddy

lonely, I am not a grad student but I am in a similar situation to yourself vis a vis Peskin. I would be willing to exchange emails on excercises in the first chapters, and we could use Patrick's worked out excercises as a last resort.

What is QFT?

QFT stands for quantum field theory and is a theoretical framework used to study and describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

Why is it important to have an exercise buddy for QFT?

Having an exercise buddy for QFT can be beneficial as it allows for collaboration and discussion of ideas, which can help with understanding and problem-solving. It also helps with accountability and motivation to stay on track with practicing and improving in QFT.

How do I find an exercise buddy for QFT?

One way to find an exercise buddy for QFT is to reach out to colleagues or classmates who are also studying QFT. You can also join online forums or groups dedicated to QFT and connect with others who are looking for exercise buddies.

What are some activities I can do with my exercise buddy for QFT?

Some activities you can do with your exercise buddy for QFT include discussing and solving practice problems, reviewing lecture notes and textbooks together, and attending QFT seminars or conferences together.

Can I have more than one exercise buddy for QFT?

Yes, you can have multiple exercise buddies for QFT. In fact, having a diverse group of exercise buddies with different perspectives and strengths can be beneficial in improving your understanding and skills in QFT.