Seeking the unknown in the known (part 1, energy)

Main Question or Discussion Point

A few years ago it came to my attention that everything somehow always related to energy. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don't understand what energy actually is . There isn't a very good explanation of energy in my physics textbooks, only the basic stuff about energy. And my physics teacher sounds like she has never heard of the subject physics .

I'm hoping for some good explanations on energy (I say explanations and not explanation, because I think that there are more perspectives on this subject than just one).

Answers and Replies

The concept of energy is classical, but when we convert it to a quantum mechanical concept we find that it is just the change of the phase of a quantum mechanical amplitude with time.That is what makes energy so important, it is related directly to how systems change with time. The quantum mechanical equation that describes the energy of a system is called the Hamiltonian, and it tells us how a system changes with time. If we want to make a system change with time we have to put some energy into it, which is why we heat a mixture of chemicals to make them react faster, etc..

That should give you some perspective on the true nature of energy.

Thanks tyger, finally I'm learning some of the good stuff

Could you please recommend a book on this subject? I'd really appreciate it.

I thank you in advance,

Astrophysics