1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking undergrad advice for physics/chem/biochem

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1
    I've been certain for the last couple years that I wish to pursue a career in research. I'm interested in the spectroscopy of proteins as a means of understanding biological mechanisms. The problem is that I would like to avoid a triple major if possible. Currently, I'm a community college student getting ready to transfer.

I thought of my general chem classes like a sort of Feynman physics lectures, a dumbed down physics class that offered unique insight in other perspectives and applications. In the same light, I would like to enter upper division chem classes (like physical chemistry) with, first, a good understanding of intro Quantum Mechanics.

If I double major biochem/neuroscience, then I need to learn the physics by myself.

My plan for the next year (during free time):

[1] "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles" Eisberg and Resnick
    +Schaums

[2] "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" Griffiths
    +Schaums

Is this plan feasible? I will only have taken a combined intro Linear Algebra/Differential equations class by the time I begin Griffiths QM book.
    How important are an understanding of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Mechanics to QM?
    What math do I need, in what order, and which can be learned concurrently? Vector Calc, ODE/PDE, Linear Algebra, probability, analysis?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted