1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seemingly easy electric potential problem

1. Feb 16, 2005 #1
    Hey everyone, check out this question:

Two point charges each of magnitude 2.14 µC are located on the x axis. One is at x=1.39 m, and the other is at x=-1.39 m. Determine the electric potential on the y axis at y=0.505 m

Alright, so im working on it, as you do, but then i realized, that the original point charges, the MAGNITUDE of the charges is given. This causes problems. Because then the direction of electric field at the point on the Y axis can have many different directions (when the charge of the original points change). For instance, if both charges are positive, the electric field at the point on the Y axis is 6007.36 N/C, however, if one of them is negative, the field is now 16535.14 N/C (when you add the sum of the vectors, etc etc...

Anyone have any insight??
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2005 #2
    Potential is a scalar quantity, not a vector. But of course it does matter whether the charges are positive or negative. The wording is a bit ambiguous, but I'd assume they mean both are positive. Otherwise, what could you say about the potential along the y axis?
  4. Feb 17, 2005 #3
    Hey, Brent again,
    I understand what you mean, the potential should be equal all along the Y axis, because along every point of the axis, it is equidistant to each charge. I stll cant seem to find the answer...
  5. Feb 17, 2005 #4
    This is worth repeating, 'cause you seem to be overlooking it:

Potential is a scalar quantity, not a vector.

What are you doing with vectors?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?