Seemingly easy physics question

• Thread starter Zorric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Pythagorean Theorem)In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the speed of a .5kg apple dropped from a 15m tall building with no air resistance. The equations U=mgh and K=(1/2)mv^2 are mentioned as possible solutions. The conversation concludes that the simplest solution is to use the equation v'= sqrt(2*9.8*15) to find the speed of the apple before it strikes the ground. However, it is also mentioned that this solution assumes an understanding of Kinetic Energy and Conservation of Energy, and the alternative solution using only the relationship between distance/velocity/acceleration is considered to be more fundamental
Zorric

Homework Statement

A .5kg apple is dropped off the top of a 15m tall building. Assuming there is no air resistance, what will the apple's speed immediately before it strikes ground be?

Homework Equations

U=m g h

The Attempt at a Solution

(.5kg)(9.8m/s^2)(15m) = 73.5 m/s?

Just doesn't seem that simple, though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zorric said:
(.5kg)(9.8m/s^2)(15m) = 73.5 m/s?

On the left side, you have units of energy (Joules) but on the right side, you have units of speed, so it can't be equal.

EDIT:
Zorric said:
U=m g h
What does the "U" mean in this equation?

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
On the left side, you have units of energy (Joules) but on the right side, you have units of speed, so it can't be equal.

EDIT:

What does the "U" mean in this equation?

gravitational potential near the surface of Earth according to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3820479&postcount=7

This seems like the most logical equation to use granted the only known data is the height, gravitational force, and mass.

Last edited:
Zorric said:
the only known data is the height, gravitational force, and weight.
I'm sure you meant to say mass :)

Zorric said:
This seems like the most logical equation to use granted the only known data is the height, gravitational force, and weight.
Would the mass of the object even matter? If you drop two objects of different mass from the same height, will they hit the ground at different times/speeds? (Ignoring air resistance, like in the problem.)

Zorric said:
This seems like the most logical equation to use granted the only known data is the height, gravitational force, and weight.
There is a bit more information, it's just slightly hidden:
"A .5kg apple is dropped off the top of a 15m tall building."
If it is dropped, then what do you know about it's initial speed?

Nathanael said:
I'm sure you meant to say mass :)

Would the mass of the object even matter? If you drop two objects of different mass from the same height, will they hit the ground at different times/speeds? (Ignoring air resistance, like in the problem.)

There is a bit more information, it's just slightly hidden:
"A .5kg apple is dropped off the top of a 15m tall building."
If it is dropped, then what do you know about it's initial speed?

Indeed I did mean mass. :) You are right about the two objects dropping at the same time, if it is dropped than the initial speed will be 0 m/s.

Zorric said:
Indeed I did mean mass. :) You are right about the two objects dropping at the same time, if it is dropped than the initial speed will be 0 m/s.

So you know the initial speed, and you know the way in which the speed is changing (the acceleration), so are you able to draw a graph of what the speed would be at any time?

In other words do you know the speed as a function of time? (assuming when it is dropped t=0)

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
So you know the initial speed, and you know the way in which the speed is changing (the acceleration), so are you able to draw a graph of what the speed would be at any time?

In other words do you know the speed as a function of time? (assuming when it is dropped t=0)

Not exactly sure, I am sure you can derive something using the initial velocity, just not sure.

Zorric said:
Not exactly sure, I am sure you can derive something using the initial velocity, just not sure.

The acceleration is 9.8 m/s per second. Meaning every second the speed increases by 9.8 m/s

Think of an XY coordinate system, except the X axis will be the Time axis and the Y axis will be the Speed axis

At time zero, speed is zero. At time 1 second, the speed is 9.8 m/s

Let's generalize it. What would be the speed after "T" seconds?

I think you guys are over thinking it. You have obviously learned about work and energy since you know mgh. So then you should know that the total energy before the event has to equal the total energy after the event, and total energy = K + U. So this would be K + U = K' + U' where K'+U' is the energy after the event. You already know that potential energy U = mgh and that kinetic energy K = (1/2)*m*v^2, so just plug those in and see what you get.

The equation with everything subbed in is.
mgh + (1/2)*m*v^2 = mgh' + (1/2)*m*v'^2

where h' is the height after the event, and v' is the speed after the event.
So you have this equation, and all you need to do is plug in the numbers.

(.5)*(9.8)*(15)+(1/2)*(.5)*(0) = (0.5)*(9.8)*(0) + (1/2)*(.5)*v'^2

(2)*(9.8)*(15) = v'^2

v' = sqrt(2*9.8*15)

Likes 1 person
Panphobia said:
I think you guys are over thinking it. You have obviously learned about work and energy since you know mgh. So then you should know that the total energy before the event has to equal the total energy after the event, and total energy = K + U. So this would be K + U = K' + U' where K'+U' is the energy after the event. You already know that potential energy U = mgh and that kinetic energy K = (1/2)*m*v^2, so just plug those in and see what you get.

I know that this is the simplest solution, however I assumed he had not yet learned about Kinetic Energy and Conservation of Energy (because if he did know about it, he would have likely realized this solution when I told him that the units on the left are that of energy)

I wasn't overthinking it, I was walking him through the logic of an alternative solution that only involves an understanding of the relationship between distance/velocity/acceleration. (Because you can solve this sort of problem before you've learned about conservation of energy...)

There's no point in just giving him the answer if he didn't partially figure it out himself. No learning happens from being given the answer.
P.S. I think you should only use the Conservation-of-Energy solution if you already thoroughly understand the alternative solution, because the alternative solution is "more true" or "more fundamental" in the sense that it involves the least amount of prerequisite information (you don't need to know any "Laws" to find the answer.)

The Conservation-of-Energy solution is merely a convenient short-cut. It doesn't create understanding.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Yes you can solve it without conservation of energy, but he was partially using conservation of energy, so I thought that is what he needed.

Panphobia said:
Yes you can solve it without conservation of energy, but he was partially using conservation of energy, so I thought that is what he needed.

But he said his reason for using the GPE equation was simply that it involved all the variables he was given.

That means he wasn't actually thinking about conservation of energy.

thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help guys, not sure what the confusion was between you two, I have learned about kinetic energy and whatnot, just trying to brush up on these problems. Also, that was the equation I was trying to remember @panphobia and when you mentioned it, I automatically knew that was how I did it previously

Zorric said:
Thanks for the help guys, not sure what the confusion was between you two, I have learned about kinetic energy and whatnot, just trying to brush up on these problems.

Have you learned about kinematics equations? It is from the understanding of kinematics equations (of constant acceleration) that you would solve this problem.

If you can't solve it that way you should brush up on the relationship between acceleration/velocity/displacement (specifically when acceleration is constant).

If you can solve it with kinematics, then you could use conservation of energy to solve it more easily by realizing that all of the GPE will be converted into KE and therefore: [itex]mgh=\frac{mv^{2}}{2}[/itex]
(You'll notice the mass cancels out on both sides, which reflects what I said about that piece of information being unneccessary and irrelevant.)

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction an object is moving in addition to its speed.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object is displaced in the direction of the force. Power is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done in a certain amount of time.

5. What is the difference between force and energy?

Force is a push or pull that can change the motion of an object, while energy is the ability to do work. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.