Seemingly easy quantum question

• Thread starter bemigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the speaker is trying to solve for the wavelength of a particle using the given information of the length of the box, mass, and value of n. The suggested process involves using the relativistic energy equation to find E and then using the De broglie relation to find the wavelength. The speaker mentions that using E = hf will not work due to the mass of the particle.
bemigh
Hey, i don't understand why i can't seem to find this answer??
Im given the length of the box, the mass, the value of n, i can solve for E of the particle, then using E=hf, solve for eventually the wavelength.
Is their something wrong with my process??

A particle of mass 2.13×10-28 kg is confined to a one-dimensional box of width 1.18×10-10 m. For n = 1 , what is the particle's wavelength?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the relation [tex] E^2 = p^2c^2 + m_0 c^2 [/tex] (relativistic energy) to find E and then use the De broglie relation to find lamda. E = hf wouldn't work since we are dealing with a particle with mass.

for asking for clarification on this question. It seems like you have the right approach, and there may be a small error in your calculation. Remember that the energy of a particle in a one-dimensional box is given by E = (n^2 * h^2) / (8mL^2), where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the box. Once you have calculated the energy, you can use E = hf to solve for the wavelength. Make sure to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

1. What is a "seemingly easy" quantum question?

A seemingly easy quantum question refers to a question about quantum mechanics that appears simple on the surface, but actually requires a deeper understanding of the subject to answer correctly.

2. Why are quantum questions often considered difficult?

Quantum questions are often considered difficult because the principles of quantum mechanics are very different from our everyday experiences and can be counterintuitive. Additionally, the mathematics and concepts involved in quantum mechanics can be complex and challenging to grasp.

3. Can quantum questions be answered without a background in physics?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding quantum questions, it is not always necessary. Some basic understanding of mathematics and a curious mind can also help in tackling quantum questions.

4. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

One common misconception about quantum mechanics is that it only applies to extremely small objects. In reality, quantum mechanics can also be applied to larger systems, such as molecules and even living organisms. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics is entirely random and unpredictable, when in fact there are certain patterns and probabilities that can be calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including in the fields of technology, medicine, and energy. Some examples include quantum computing, which has the potential to solve complex problems faster than traditional computers, and quantum cryptography, which uses quantum principles to create unbreakable codes for secure communication.