How to Adjust Piano String Tension for Optimal Frequency | Piano Tuning Guide

• Thread starter Phymath
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking how to adjust the tension of a piano string so that the "middle C" note plays at the correct frequency of 261.6 Hz. The original tension of 754 N needs to be adjusted, but the individual is unsure of how to approach the problem. They have been given two formulas, but are missing a value. The second problem involves finding the wavelength on the right segment of a string made of two different materials with different mass per unit length. The person is unsure if it is a proportionality question, but is willing to try to solve it.
Phymath
well here's the problem: A piano tuner detects that the "middle C" note, which should be 261.6 Hz, is too low by 12.6 Hz. If the original tension was 754 N, what must it be adjsuted to so the note plays the correct frequency?

however i have no idea where to even start?! i got these formulas but i was never given a 4th value like the density (mu) or the velocity of the note in the wire where to go!

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}} [/tex]
[tex] v = \lambda f = \frac{\lambda}{t}[/tex] where t is the period, and T is the tension in the string

as well as this one.. i think its a porportionalitly question I am not sure though please help me even get started

A string is made of two materials of different mass per unit length, 2.31 g/m on the left and 3.25 g/m on the right, connected together at the center. If the wavelength of the wave on the left segment is 21.7 m, what is the wavelength on the right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phymath said:
i think its a porportionalitly question I am not sure though

I'll take a crack at the first problem...I’ve got a bit of a cold, but I think your right. The first question is a proportionality question. If you know that T1=754N and F1=261.6Hz then perhaps an equality would solve this one, you already know what F2 is, now all you need is to solve for T1.

Merle

agreed as possibly the last problem is the same, however these problems are typically not like that but ill give it a shot thanks

What is a "simple problem" in the context of science?

A "simple problem" in science refers to a research question or hypothesis that can be tested and answered relatively easily, without the need for complex or specialized equipment or methods.

How do scientists approach seemingly simple problems?

Scientists approach seemingly simple problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable components and designing experiments or studies to test each component separately. This allows for a more thorough and accurate understanding of the problem.

Why are seemingly simple problems important to study in science?

Seemingly simple problems can often lead to significant discoveries or advancements in scientific understanding. They can also serve as a foundation for more complex research questions and provide valuable insights into the natural world.

What are some examples of seemingly simple problems that have had significant impacts in science?

Examples of seemingly simple problems with significant impacts in science include understanding the behavior of gravity, discovering the structure of DNA, and determining the cause of infectious diseases.

How can seemingly simple problems be challenging for scientists to solve?

Seemingly simple problems can be challenging for scientists to solve because they may require a deep understanding of complex concepts or phenomena. Additionally, unexpected variables or factors may arise during the research process, making the problem more complicated than initially thought.