Seesaw Equilibrium: Examining Forces & Motion

• Thread starter fromage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seesaw
In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of a seesaw with two equal masses and a fulcrum in the middle. The question is raised about what would happen if one mass is added to one side first and then the other. The conclusion is that the seesaw would come to an equilibrium in the real world, but the exact force required to start the motion is unclear. It is suggested that in the real world, inaccuracies and momentum play a role in the motion of the seesaw. The conversation also touches on the potential differences between a seesaw and a balance in terms of equilibrium.
fromage
this isn't really a homework question but this seems the most appropriate area since i feel the mechanics involved is fairly simple.

i was absent mindedly considering a seesaw with two equal masses at either end of a massless arm and the fulcrum in the middle of the arm.
in this scenario if you were to put on mass on one side first, resulting in one end dipping towards the ground and the other higher up, then put the other mass on the other side what would happen to the seesaw?
obviously in the real world the seesaw would come to an equilibrium where the arm was horizontal, but when i tried considering both moments and resolving forces i could not find the force that is required to start this system moving, and hence i concluded that the seesaw with one mass higher than the other was already in equilibrium.
have i done something wrong here or missed out a crucial detail, or is it just that in the real world due to inaccuracies and the fact that some momentum would be exerted onto the seesaw arm once the second mass was added, that the ensuing motion takes place?

Physics news on Phys.org
First question: "put the other mass on the other side what would happen to the seesaw?"
Depends on how gently the other mass is put. With a thump would indeed transfer some momentum on the whole. Extremely gently would probably not overcome friction. You already stipulate that in your last paragraph.

Second question, first part: I would say yes: there is no preference for equilibrium in the real world, unless the centre of mass is below the pivot axis.
Second question, second part: (insofar as not adressed in the first question): the way you ask ("the ensuing motion") leads me to think you jump to conclusions (as if "no motion" is already excluded). Find a real seesaw and experiment with presence of mind!

Quite a good question because with the schematic diagram you often see, well I have, of a fulcrum, two horizontal arms with weights on them which you are told are in equilibrium because there are equal downward forces, would be equally in equilibrium with the arms tilted so you couldn't use it for weighing in the way you do - on the other hand if the weights were unequal then it would swing till the arms were vertical which a balance also doesn't do.

1. What is seesaw equilibrium?

Seesaw equilibrium is the state in which a seesaw is balanced and not moving. This occurs when the forces acting on either end of the seesaw are equal and opposite, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

2. How is forces and motion related to seesaw equilibrium?

Forces and motion are closely related to seesaw equilibrium because the forces acting on either end of the seesaw determine whether it will be in equilibrium or not. If the forces are not balanced, the seesaw will either move or remain tilted in one direction.

3. What factors affect seesaw equilibrium?

The factors that affect seesaw equilibrium include the weight of the objects on either end of the seesaw, the distance between the pivot point and the objects, and the position of the objects relative to the pivot point. Other external factors such as wind or uneven ground can also affect the equilibrium.

4. How can you calculate the forces and motion in a seesaw?

To calculate the forces and motion in a seesaw, you can use Newton's Laws of Motion and the principles of torque. This involves determining the weight and distance of the objects on either end of the seesaw, and using these values to calculate the forces and moments acting on the seesaw. These calculations can also be made using a force or torque sensor.

5. How can seesaw equilibrium be applied in real-life situations?

Seesaw equilibrium can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in playground equipment, construction of bridges and balance scales, and in understanding the forces acting on a lever. It can also be used in engineering and physics principles to design and build structures that require balance and stability.