Seesaw equilibrium physics problem

In summary: N The moment of child 2 about pivot = Child's weight*distance from pivot. 9.81*2.3=16.7 N
Fabio233

Homework Statement

Two children are sitting on opposite ends of a uniform seesaw of negligible mass, if a 35 kg child is 2.0 m from the pivot point, how far from the pivot point will her 30 kg playmate have to sit on the other side for the seesaw to be in equilibrium. please help

Homework Equations

Im not sure what to use??

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure, that's why i am here

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know how to calculate a moment of a force? Do you know what the sum of the moments about a point must be equal to for there to be equilibrium?

im sorry I am not familiar to these terms, do you have an equation i can use

The moment of a force is the Force multiplied by the distance from the point of rotation. Where in the see-saw do you think is a good place to take moments about? (i.e. where is the best place to measure the rotation from?)

would it be the pivot point?

Fabio233 said:
would it be the pivot point?

Yes it would, so what are the forces acting and what distances are they from the pivot point?

would the forces be mass and gravity and, distance 2m from pivot point

Fabio233 said:
would the forces be mass and gravity and, distance 2m from pivot point

Mass and gravity is the weight of the people.

So let's call the distance of the 30kg child from the pivot point d. So what is the child's moment about the pivot point?

Similarly what is the moment of the 35kg child about the pivot point?

oh so i take 35/2=17.5
30/4=7.5
17.5/7.5=2.3m

Fabio233 said:
oh so i take 35/2=17.5
30/4=7.5
17.5/7.5=2.3m

No 35kg is how many Newtons if g=9.81 N/kg? Convert 30kg to N as well.

The moment of child 1 about pivot = Child's weight*distance from pivot.

What is a seesaw equilibrium physics problem?

A seesaw equilibrium physics problem is a type of physics problem that involves a seesaw or a lever. The seesaw is a simple machine that consists of a long plank balanced on a fulcrum or pivot point. In these types of problems, the goal is to determine the equilibrium point or balance point where the seesaw is in a stable position.

What are the key factors that affect seesaw equilibrium?

The key factors that affect seesaw equilibrium include the position of the fulcrum, the weights or masses on each end of the seesaw, and the distance between the fulcrum and each weight. These factors can be changed to achieve equilibrium at different points on the seesaw.

How do you calculate the equilibrium point in a seesaw equilibrium physics problem?

The equilibrium point in a seesaw equilibrium physics problem can be calculated using the principle of moments. This principle states that the sum of the moments (force times distance) on each side of the seesaw must be equal for the seesaw to be in equilibrium. By setting the moments on each side equal to each other, one can solve for the equilibrium point.

What happens if the seesaw is not in equilibrium?

If the seesaw is not in equilibrium, it will either rotate clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction of the unbalanced moment. This means that one side of the seesaw will be higher than the other, and it will not be stable.

What real-world applications use seesaw equilibrium?

Seesaw equilibrium is used in various real-world applications, such as balancing scales, teeter-totters, and even some playground equipment. It is also used in engineering and construction to ensure the stability of structures and to determine the placement of weight distribution in vehicles and machines.