1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seesaw problem

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    A 70kg adult sits at one end of a 10m board, on other end sits a 30kg child. where should pivot point be placed so board is balanced? board's mass is 15kg.

so far, i have pivot point is 15kg(9.8)=147N (5) <-- half the board length.. for adult i have 686N and kid is 294N. i know that Etorqueccw=Etorquecw ... but im not sure how to use that for the lengths of both humans, since there are 2 variables. need two eqns then rite? but whats the other eqn?..:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You (should) have one equation and one unknown. Basically, suppose x is the distance from the pivot point the child. Then the distance to the adult from the pivot point is L - x where L is the length of the board. Put it into your torque equation and solve for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?