Understanding the Mass of the Higgs Triplet in Neutrino Mass Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and interpretation of the MΔ term in the neutrino mass mechanism with Type-II seesaw. It is believed to represent the mass of the Higgs triplet (Δ=(Δ++,Δ+,Δ°)), but the physical meaning of this mass is unclear compared to the mass of individual components. The speaker seeks clarification on how to understand the mass of a triplet (mΣ or mΔ) in contrast to the mass of individual components in a doublet (mψ).
chym
Hi,
I would like to understand what is the MΔ which appears in the neutrino mass mechanism with Type-II seesaw. It seems to be the Higgs triplet mass. But I do not understand what is (physically) the masse of this triplet when we define it with 3 components : Δ=(Δ++,Δ+,Δ°). It is different from the Δ° mass ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you provide us with a reference where your notation is introduced, how do you expect anyone to answer this question?

You are right. But my question can be reformulated.
In some theories (see saw II or III), we assume the existence of a scalar SU(2)L triplet defined by Δ=(Δ++,Δ+,Δ°) (=Higgs triplet) or new fermionic SU(2) triplet Σ=(Σ+,Σ°,Σ-). In such models, we refer on the mass of the triplet mΔ or mΣ. My question is that I do not understand how we can speak about the triplet mass (and not about each of its component mass). For comparison, in SU(2)L doublet ψ=(ν,e-) we always refer either on the neutrino mass or electron mass and not on a "mψ" doublet mass. So this triplet mass term (mΣ or mΔ) is difficult for me to understand. Could you help me ?

1. What is the Higgs Triplet in the context of neutrino mass mechanism?

The Higgs Triplet is a hypothetical scalar particle that is proposed to exist in some theories of neutrino mass mechanism. It is a representation of the Higgs field with a non-zero vacuum expectation value, which is responsible for giving mass to the neutrinos through a process known as the Higgs mechanism.

2. How does the Higgs Triplet contribute to the mass of neutrinos?

The Higgs Triplet interacts with the Higgs field and gives a mass to the neutrinos through the Higgs mechanism. This is similar to how the Higgs field gives mass to the other elementary particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. What is the significance of understanding the mass of the Higgs Triplet in neutrino mass mechanism?

Understanding the mass of the Higgs Triplet is crucial in order to fully understand the mechanism behind neutrino mass. It can also provide insights into the fundamental nature of neutrinos and their role in the universe.

4. Is there experimental evidence for the existence of the Higgs Triplet?

At this point, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of the Higgs Triplet. However, some theories predict its existence and future experiments, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider, may provide evidence for its existence.

5. Are there alternative theories for neutrino mass that do not involve the Higgs Triplet?

Yes, there are alternative theories for neutrino mass that do not involve the Higgs Triplet. Some of these include the seesaw mechanism, where the neutrinos obtain mass through the exchange of heavy particles, and the radiative mechanism, where the mass is generated through loop diagrams involving other particles.