Finding Research for Siemens Competition

• Thread starter 1st2fall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to find a job assisting a lab with research, particularly for a competition like Seimens. They mention living near a good engineering school, but doubt they would be able to do anything there. Their physics teacher believes it is not worth training a high school student. They ask if it would be worth looking into smaller tech schools and mention Oak Ridge National Lab has a program for high schoolers.
1st2fall
I hope this is not in the wrong forum but it may be and if it is, I apologize. I put this under academic guidance because learning how to research is something one normally does best with in a university of some sort. I'd like to know how I should go about trying to find a "job" assisting some lab with the tiny parts of their research. I live near a decent Engineering school (Georgia Tech specifically) but I doubt I'd be able to do anything there. My physics teacher told me that most times they figure it's not worth their time to train a high school student enough to make them useful... Does anyone have any advice on what I could do for research for a competition like Seimens? Would it be worth me checking with some of the smaller tech schools? Thank you in advanced for any and all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to look at the current list (and past lists) of recipients -- esp. as these are usually listed by state. A bit of research into their names as co-authors on publication(s), which are likely in this level of research, might tell you where they are working... i.e. what depts. might be friendly to high schoolers. Here in TN, most of our recipients are from Oak Ridge schools... and they're working at the Oak Ridge National Lab, which has a special program set up for high schoolers to get involved.

PS -- welcome to the forums!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and asking for advice on finding research opportunities for the Siemens Competition. I understand the importance of research experience and how it can enhance your academic and career goals.

Firstly, I would suggest reaching out to your local universities and research institutions to inquire about any available research opportunities for high school students. Some institutions may have programs specifically designed for high school students, while others may be open to taking on motivated and passionate individuals like yourself.

Additionally, you could also consider contacting professors or researchers at these institutions to see if they have any ongoing projects that you could assist with. It may be helpful to have a specific area of interest or expertise in mind when reaching out to potential mentors.

In regards to your concern about being trained and useful, I would like to assure you that many researchers are open to working with high school students and investing in their potential. It may require some extra effort on your part to learn and understand the techniques and concepts involved in the research, but it can be a valuable learning experience.

Lastly, don't overlook smaller tech schools or community colleges in your area. They may have research opportunities available and could be a great place to gain experience and build your skills.

I wish you all the best in your search for research opportunities and in the Siemens Competition. Your determination and enthusiasm for research is admirable and I have no doubt that you will find a great opportunity to contribute to the scientific community.

1. How do I find research for the Siemens Competition?

There are several ways to find research for the Siemens Competition. One option is to reach out to professors or researchers at universities or research institutions and inquire about available projects or collaborations. Another option is to search for ongoing research projects or published papers in your field of interest and contact the authors to inquire about potential collaborations or opportunities.

2. What are the best sources for finding research for the Siemens Competition?

The best sources for finding research for the Siemens Competition will depend on your specific field of interest. Some common sources include academic journals, conference proceedings, and research databases such as PubMed or Google Scholar. You can also attend conferences or networking events in your field to connect with researchers and learn about their ongoing projects.

3. What should I look for when choosing a research project for the Siemens Competition?

When choosing a research project for the Siemens Competition, it is important to consider the relevance and potential impact of the project. Look for projects that align with your interests and skills, and have the potential to contribute to existing knowledge in your field. It is also important to ensure that the project is feasible and can be completed within the timeline of the competition.

4. Can I work with a team on a research project for the Siemens Competition?

Yes, you can work with a team on a research project for the Siemens Competition. The competition allows for teams of up to three students to collaborate on a project. However, each team member must make a significant contribution to the project and all members must meet the eligibility requirements for the competition.

5. Are there any restrictions on the type of research I can do for the Siemens Competition?

The Siemens Competition does not have any specific restrictions on the type of research that can be done. However, all projects must comply with the competition's rules and regulations, and must adhere to ethical standards. It is important to carefully review the competition guidelines and ensure that your research project is in line with the competition's requirements.