Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seismic Scare At The Zooby Brush Shelter

1. Jun 15, 2004 #1
    Earlier today I was briefly scared out of my wits when a seismic wave passed beneath the Zooby brush shelter here in San Diego, and seemed to toss the whole place up unto the air a couple feet as it passed underneath.

Apparently the epicenter was about 50 miles away, out in the ocean to the southwest: (marked by a star)

Event 14065544 Map
    Address:http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/STORE/X14065544/ciim_display.html Changed:6:34 PM on Tuesday, June 15, 2004

5.7 richter, it was just the one big impulse, followed by decreasing trembling. Whenever this happens, I'm always on tenderhooks for a little while wondering if there is more coming.

The interesting thing with this one is that I was aware of a definite direction to it. It hit from behind me, went underneath, and continued on in the direction I happened to be facing.
    -----------

Post your interesting earthquake stories and data.

-Zooby

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu and I were on the fifth floor of an apartment building in Glendale, Ca., when we were hit by a quake of similar magnitude. It hit very early in the morning, I think about 5 AM, so we both bolted from bed into the hallway. Now we have both been in some serious quakes but on the fifth floor this was like no other earthquake I have experienced. With the degree of motion that could be felt I thought the building was coming down.

When the quake was over I found myself behind Tsu and hovering over her, and reaching around her and holding on to a couple of convenient hand grips; kindly provided by Tsu. :rolleyes: She looked at me and said: "Now I know what you're really worried about saving"

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  4. Jun 15, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was there any damage? Did you hear anything before it hit?

5. Jun 15, 2004 #4
    I haven't heard of one report of damage. It was a very much up and down event, and so brief there was no collateral shaking.

A very loud bang, almost sonic boom strength, accompanied the movement of the house. There wasn't any preceeding noise I can recall. The bang seemed to be produced exclusively by the sudden strain on the structure of the house itself: it seemed to sound all around me rather than from below.

My guess is that it was the result of one of those events where one plate is slipping beneath another, rather that the kind where the plates slide laterally.

6. Jun 16, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My best friend lives in Sicily where there are frequent earthquakes. He seems to have the ability to sense earthquakes just minutes before they are felt. Since he was a small child he would feel a weird sensation that would even wake him from sleep just moments before an earthquake would hit. It was a very specific sick feeling. It was several years before he associated the feelings with the earthquakes. The last earthquake, he was awakened from a deep sleep and was able to make it to his mother's room before the quake hit.

But he can also sense minute differences in temperature and humidity. He's an oddity.

Zooby, do you get any sensations before an earthquake?

P.S. Glad you are ok. :smile:

7. Jun 16, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The earthquake wasn't too bad today, but I am in a big office building. I was up at UCLA, so it shook us a few minutes before it hit the Zooby shack.
    It did bring up reminders of the Northridge quake 10 years ago. That was quite an experience. Had to get the cat surgically removed from my face afterwards.
    Earthquakes are weird because they make me sea sick. I have a funny inner ear, I guess.

8. Jun 16, 2004 #7
    I don't get any special sensations whatever before an earthquake.

The first big one I was in after I moved to SoCal was at night and woke me up. The room seemed to be spinning like it used to when I would get plastered. I became very anxious because I was sure I must be drunk, but too drunk to recall why I would have gotten drunk out of the blue after 15 years of not touching the stuff.

Eventually I woke up enough to figure out that was my first earthquake. Between the shaking and not being able to explain why I was drunk, I ended up having to go to the bathroom.

So that incident had aftereffects, but nothing unusual has ever preceeded a quake. I'm always completely surprised.

9. Jun 16, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh boy I bet that was fun. For some time we lived near Cal State Northridge; near Van Nuys [Parthenia] and Sepulveda. I understand this area was hit really hard. Where were you located at the time. Do tell. :tongue2:
    We were really glad to be gone already.

:rofl:

10. Jun 16, 2004 #9

Evo

See, you do feel effects from the earthquakes, and apparently so does zooby, just not before. Zooby, don't earthquakes produce ultrasound?

You and zooby need to move here with me, where you spend most of the year safely in the basement waiting for tornadoes to hit. :biggrin:

11. Jun 16, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/4kids/facts.html

http://www.darylscience.com/Demos/PSWaves.html

12. Jun 16, 2004 #11
    I lived in Tornado country for years in Ohio and also in Minnesota, so I know what that's all about. When I was in college in Ohio there was massive thunderstorm that spawned 77 twisters in that state alone. There was a little town called Xenia, I think, that was just about wiped clean away.

I almost got pulled into the sky, myself that day by means of umbrella and wind gust. All these people were standing at the door of a dorm yelling at me to get back inside.

13. Jun 16, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zooby, pack up! We're going to live with Evo at the haunted mansion! :rofl:

I'm near Culver City, Ivan, just south of Santa Monica, and I was in the same area at the time (of the Northridge quake). The 10 freeway collapsed just about 5 miles or so from where I live. You might remember the famous story about the CHP office who went flying off it when the quake happened...?

14. Jun 16, 2004 #13

Evo

Alrighty then!!! Hauntings, tornadoes, and I've even heard of earthquakes nearby! Not to mention the flying cats!!!! A fun time for all!!!! :biggrin:

YIKES!!! Math Is Hard, I'm worried about you now. :frown:

15. Jun 16, 2004 #14
    Oh, I forgot about Evo's poltergeists. I'll stick with the quakes.

16. Jun 16, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry Evo. Math Is Hard isn't a CHP officer.

17. Jun 16, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aw, c'mon Zoob. We'll make it a reality show. We've got beautiful Evo, mistress of the dark, and a host of wacky characters.. my film crew is ready to go!!

18. Jun 16, 2004 #17
    No, I'm not fond of sideways flying cats.

19. Jun 16, 2004 #18

Evo

Oh yeah right! My cat flies sideways ONE time and you won't come here. :grumpy:

20. Jun 16, 2004 #19
    There's also the fact that you live right next to Montgomery Burns' Nuclear Power Plant.

21. Jun 16, 2004 #20
    I felt the quake yesterday down here in southern OC, but it was just a blip. barely noticed it. but I'm not sure which one it was. According to the USGS.gov site there were 2 quakes yesterday- a 5.1 off the baja coast, and a 3.9 centered just south of agoura hills, ca at about the same time. Either way, I barely felt it here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?