Identifying the End of a Rayleigh Wave Train on Seismograms

In summary: Rayleigh wave train usually ends when the LR waves first arrive. He also says that the train may have more than 2 possible end points, but that the LR waves are the most definitive marker.In summary, Dave believes that the Rayleigh wave train usually ends when the LR waves first arrive, and there may be more than 2 possible end points.
polekitten
How can you tell where a dispersed Rayleigh wave train ends...? Is there a way to identify the end of a Rayleigh wave train on the following teleseismic records?

The first shows the full surface wave train, the second is zoomed in but cuts off the final part of the original including the last green line. The red marks show the same cycle on both trains, the blue shows where I believe the LR waves first arrive and the green show 2 possible end points of the LR wave train... there may be a better end point).
Rayleigh.jpg

Rayleigh (zoomed).jpg

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
@davenn is our seismograph guy. Perhaps he can help.

jim mcnamara said:
@davenn is our seismograph guy. Perhaps he can help.

Hi Jim and @polekitten

I have been pondering this thread since I first saw it several days ago and trying to think of a good answer :wink:

To polekitten, my first thoughts are still... " why do you think that the Love and Rayleigh waves should just suddenly stop rather than slowing tailing off in the coda ?
I haven't found anything in my searching of various seismogram interpretation doc's that states one way or the other. But my own expectation is that they just tail off

This is, of course, very different to the P and S waves which pass by the observer as brief pulses lasting maybe 10 - 20 sec. The surface waves are more spread out.

I am going to keep reading to see if I can find anything definitive ... maybe you could continue to do the same research and see of one of us can find some answers :smile:

Not sure if we have any other experienced seismogram guys on the forum
I have been at it for many years, but don't deem myself an expert by a longshot haha ... as in it isn't my day job :wink:

Dave

Last edited:

1. What are seismograms?

Seismograms are graphical records of the ground motion caused by seismic waves. They are typically produced by seismographs, which are instruments used to measure and record seismic activity.

2. What are Rayleigh waves?

Rayleigh waves are a type of surface wave that travels along the surface of the Earth. They are characterized by a rolling motion and are typically the most damaging type of seismic wave.

3. How are seismograms used to study Rayleigh waves?

Seismograms are used to study Rayleigh waves by measuring the amplitude, frequency, and duration of the waves. This information can then be used to determine the location, magnitude, and direction of the earthquake that produced the waves.

4. What can we learn from seismograms about Rayleigh waves?

Seismograms can provide important information about Rayleigh waves, such as their velocity, frequency, and amplitude. This information can help scientists better understand the properties of the Earth's surface and the movement of seismic waves.

5. How do seismograms help us predict earthquakes caused by Rayleigh waves?

Seismograms can help us predict earthquakes caused by Rayleigh waves by providing early warning signs of an impending earthquake. By studying the patterns and characteristics of the seismograms, scientists can make predictions about the magnitude and location of future earthquakes.